Verizon Hopes Rising in Texas
- Franchise Fun. // CableFAX Daily;10/24/2005, Vol. 16 Issue 206, p1
Reports on the approval given by the Texas Public Utility Commission to Verizon to launch its Fiber Optic Services Television to selected communities in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Criticisms expressed by the New Jersey Cable Telecommunications Association against Verizon's move.
- Franchise Feats. // CableFAX Daily;9/8/2005, Vol. 16 Issue 174, p1
Offers news briefs on cable franchises in the U.S. as of September 8, 2005. Anti-cable statewide video franchise bill signed into law by Texas Governor Rick Perry; Acquisition by Verizon of its second video franchise in California.
- TCTA Sues Over State Franchises. Eggerton, John // Broadcasting & Cable;9/12/2005, Vol. 135 Issue 37, p45
Focuses on the lawsuit filed by the Texas Cable & Telecommunications Association. Information on the law; Companies which supported the creation of the law; Terms of the lawsuit.
- OUTCOMES AND ALTERNATIVES FOR UNIVERSAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICE: A CASE STUDY OF TEXAS. Ellig, Jerry; Rotondi, Joseph // Texas Review of Law & Politics;Fall2007, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p1
The article presents a case study of regulations of telecommunications services in Texas. In 2005, a telecommunications legislation was enacted to deregulate costs of telecommunication services, reduce hidden subsidies from long distance and local service and establish franchising for cable...
- Telco CA Gold Rush:. // CableFAX Daily;6/2/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 107, p1
Reports on the approval of a statewide video franchising bill in California by an assembly of the California Cable & Telecom Association. Provisions of the bill; Estimated amount spent by Verizon and AT&T in supporting the bill through advertising.
- Surprise for Verizon in N.J. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;12/5/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 51, p31
The article reports on the opposition of Verizon Communications Inc. to a video franchising draft bill sponsored by assemblyman Wilfredo Caraballo (D-Newark) in New Jersey that calls for a statewide franchise for some providers of cable television services. Verizon plans to launch video services...
- Reform Could Appear on Docket. Halonen, Doug // Television Week;2/20/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 8, p4
Reports on the expected inclusion of local cable franchise provision in a telecommunication legislation in the U.S. in 2006. Views of U.S. Senator Ted Stevens on addressing the delay in local cable franchising; Reduction of cable franchise prices in areas where Verizon is offering its FiOS TV...
- Looking Local:. // CableFAX Daily;4/27/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 82, p1
The article reports that local cable executives in OH Cable Telecommunication Association (OCTA) are hoping that the video franchising bill of Representative Joe Barton (R-TX) will become a law in 2006. Lobbyist Neil Clark expressed his intention to launch a campaign against the federal...
- Texas Gov. Perry Names Smitherman for PUC. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/26/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31870, p4
Reports on the appointment of former Banc One Capital Markets Inc. investment banker Barry Smitherman to the Texas Public Utility Commission by Texas Governor Rick Perry. Smitherman's former work as assistant district attorney in Harris County; Experiences as a public finance investment banker.