A Tough Sell
- Gart says financing for its TSA bid firm. Curan, Catherine // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;7/16/1998, Vol. 176 Issue 11, p16
Reports that Gart Sports Co. has reaffirmed the necessary financing to back up its bid for the Sports Authority (TSA). Details on the merger deal; Performance of Gart's shares at the New York Stock Exchange on July 15, 1998.
- Gart's chief `disappointed' by Sports Authority rejection. Feitelberg, Rosemary // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;8/13/1998, Vol. 176 Issue 31, p6
Reports that John Douglas Morton of Gart Sports has been disappointed for the rejection of his offer to take over The Sports Authority (TSA). Why TSA rejected the Gart bid; Discussion on the offer of Gart to acquire the sporting goods retailer; Information on the agreement between TSA and Venator.
- Sportmart merges with Gart Sports. // Advertising Age;10/6/1997, Vol. 68 Issue 40, p56
Reports the decision of Sportmart to merge with Gart Sports Co. to form the second-largest full-line sporting goods retailer in the United States. Estimated first full-year revenues; The operation of the combined company under the name Gart Sports Co.
- Gart counters Venator for TSA. // Discount Store News;7/27/98, Vol. 37 Issue 14, p3
Details on Gart Sports Inc.'s proposed merger with the Sports Authority Inc. Venator group's bid for the acquisition of Sports Authority; Terms of Sports Authority's merger agreement with Venator; Potential executive changes in the Sports Authority board.
- Sports chains undergo change. // Chain Store Age;Nov97, Vol. 73 Issue 11, p34
Reports that Gart Sports agreed to acquire public firm Sportmart Inc. through a stock split, despite the rumors of a possible acquisition of The Sports Authority by either Woolworth or Wal-Mart. How the entity will be called; Retention of the company's staff; Acquisition of Big 5 Sporting Goods...
- The New Power Couple: Gart, Sports Authority Hook Up. Cart, Bob // Retail Merchandiser;Apr2003, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p6
Deals with merger of Gart Sports and The Sports Authority. Estimated market capital of the combined company; Number of stores of the combined company; Details on the merger deal.
- Sports Authority deal marries regional giants. Troy, Mike // DSN Retailing Today;3/10/2003, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p3
Reports on the merger of Sports Authority Inc. and Gart Sports. Terms of agreement; Benefits from the merger.
- Gart Sports tops Venator bid for TSA. Curan, Catherine; Feitelberg, Rosemary // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;7/6/1998, Vol. 176 Issue 3, p2
Elaborates on the bidding made by Gart Sports Co. for The Sports Authority (TSA) in 1998. Background on Gart; Information on the May 7 announcement of Venator to purchase TSA; Expected market implication of Gart's deal to TSA shareholders.
- Venator, TSA forecasts add fuel to bidding fire. Curan, Catherine // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;7/8/1998, Vol. 176 Issue 5, p7
Focuses on the financial status of Venator Group and Gart Sports and their aquisition bid for The Sports Authority (TSA). Factors affecting the two companies' second-quarter results; Information on Venator and Gart stocks; Gart's bid offer for TSA; Terms under Venator's offer for TSA.