School funding decision expected from Texas lawmakers despite delay
- State vote fuels outrage. Campbell, Eric T. // Michigan Citizen;5/6/2012, Vol. 34 Issue 26, pA1
The article reports on the outrage that arouse at a hearing after two Republican members of the Board of State Canvassers ignored the petitions of more than 220,000 residents of Michigan residents to repeal the Public Act 4. It notes that the Act was enacted in 2011 to allow the governor to...
- Municipal bond and state and local finance legislative status report. // Bond Buyer;07/20/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30438, p31
Presents a status report on municipal bond and state and local finance legislation in the United States, as of July 20, 1998. Includes United States (US) President Bill Clinton's plan to veto the final education savings account bill; US House of Representatives' approval of the Financial...
- Township reform must not fail again. // Indianapolis Business Journal;4/25/2011, Vol. 32 Issue 8, p10A
The author reflects on Senate Bill 246, a legislative bill in Marion County, Indiana which would eliminate township boards and assign most township duties to Marion County government.
- N.J. Senate panel approves paying off some trash loans. Hoffman, David // Bond Buyer;06/23/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30420, p1
Focuses on New Jersey Senate's Environment Committee's approval of legislation that would pay off at least 50% of the loans used by counties to build state-mandated trash incinerators. Separate initiatives proposed by the Assembly and Governor Christine Todd Whitman; US Supreme Court's ruling...
- Plan to give more spending flexibility. Meisler, Daniel // Bond Buyer;01/26/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30565, p4
Focuses on a United States Senate bill designed to give states more flexibility in how they can spend certain federal grants for education.
- Sports, transport, tax bills top Florida's bond agenda. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;03/09/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30845, p29
Focuses on the inclusion of bond financing measures in legislative sessions in Florida. Impact of Mobility 2000 Initiative on transportation projects; Consideration of proposals influencing municipal market; Efforts in assigning bills on sports, transport and tax; Controversy of bond financing...
- New Jersey. Demenchuk, Michael // Bond Buyer;08/04/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30201, p28
Presents updates on a legislation creating a fiscal oversight panel for Camden, New Jersey and on the Bond Club of New Jersey. Proposed creation of an oversight board for the fiscally troubled city which gets 60 percent of its roughly $100 million annual budget from state sources; Names of...
- Despite budget crunch, Kansas road plan continues intact. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;01/28/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30817, p36
Reports on the proposed fiscal 2000 budget bill of Kansas. Reduction in the operating budget of the state; Allocation for the highway bond program; Department of Transportation's administrative budget; Projects supported by bonds to be issued by the Kansas Development Finance Authority.
- We must debate this second-rate idea. Haslam, James // Accountancy;May86, Vol. 97 Issue 1113, p14
Comments on the British government's proposals on rate reform or the community charge system. Proposed setting and distribution of non-domestic rates centrally; Aim of restraining local public expenditure; Need to recognize the inter-relationships between the rates and other taxes.