Maryland approves $445 million in debt; hikes tax on tobacco
- MIDWEST Bond-Watch. // Bond Buyer;5/1/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31377, p47
Reports on economic developments in the U.S. as of May 2002. Marketing of the bonds of the Educational Advancement Fund Inc.; Approval of the supplemental school budget; Debate of the Senate on the increase in cigarette taxes.
- Northeast bond-watch. Meisler, Daniel; Kaplan, David; Hoffman, David; Kruger, Daniel // Bond Buyer;01/04/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30550, p27
Looks at the performance of bonds in the Northeastern States as of January 4, 1999. Includes approval of tax on cigars and chewing tobacco in Montgomery County, Texas; Massachusetts Health and Educational Facilities Authority's plan to issue $50 million of debt on behalf of Wellesley College;...
- Texas House Hikes Taxes On Cigarettes. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/28/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32370, p1
The article reports that the Texas House has approved a cigarette tax hike but rejected a proposal to issue bonds for schools. The bond measure was stripped from HB 5, which was primarily written to provide supplementary revenue to fund public education. The Texas Supreme Court in November 2005...
- MIDWEST Bond-Watch. Carvlin, Elizabeth; Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;1/22/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31557, p27
Presents several news items related to the U.S. bond market as of january 22, 2003. Downgrade in rating of Iowa-based Clarke College's multimillion dollar outstanding debts by rating agency Moody's Investors Service Inc.; Possible increase in taxes on cigarettes and alcohols in fiscal 2002...
- MIDWEST BOND-WATCH. // Bond Buyer;11/19/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31765, p35
Reports development related to bonds as of November 2003. Revision of Standard & Poor's outlook on Edward Health Services Corp.; Increase of cigarette tax; Balance of budget in education funds.
- N.J. Governor Eyes Tobacco For '03 Plan. Braun, Martin Z. // Bond Buyer;3/27/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31353, p1
Reports the proposed budget for tobacco bonds by Governor James E. McGreevey in Trenton, New Jersey. Restructure of state authorities to help close a budget deficit; Proposal for increase in the cigarette tax; Pledge of McGreevey to support school construction program.
- N.J. Legislature Weighs Smaller Cigarette Tax Hike. D'Ambrosio, Jill // Bond Buyer;6/17/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31907, p28
Reports that the New Jersey lawmakers were debating whether or not to reduce the per-pack increase on cigarette taxes as proposed by Governor James E. McGreevey's fiscal 2005 budget. Impact of hike of cigarette taxes on bonds; Assessment of the structure of the borrowing; Evaluation of the budget.
- Still Waiting in Wisconsin. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;10/24/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32740, p1
The article reports on the approval of the proposed $57.2 billion compromise budget for fiscal 2008-2009 by Wisconsin Legislature on October 23, 2007. The budget includes a cigarette tax increase and other fee hikes sought by Democrats but removes several others opposed by Republicans. It also...
- Cigarette Paper Burned. // njbiz;10/4/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 40, p2
Reports on the credit rating given by agencies to New Jersey state bonds on cigarette taxes set for collection, as of October 4, 2004. Measures planned by the state to cover the cost.