Texas bar on tobacco contingency fees may apply to bonds
- Fee-shifting may be curtailed: Proposed act would limit awards. // ABA Journal;Sep84, Vol. 70 Issue 9, p46
Reports on a proposed act that would limit attorney's fees recoveries in the United States. Important aspects of the Legal Fees Equity Act; Crucial case that prompted the promulgation of bill.
- How Lawyers Compete. Abramowicz, Michael // Regulation;Summer2004, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p38
Discusses ways to create competition among lawyers in contingency fee markets. Possible reasons behind the uniformity of contingency fees; Impact of quality differences among lawyers on price competition; Role of brokerage services in achieving competition.
- Tobacco-Lawyer ABS Just the Start of Cigarette Spoils Boom. O'Leary, Chris // Private Placement Letter;01/22/2001, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p3
Focuses on the bond deal securitizing the fees of lawyers that won the 1998 tobacco legal settlement in the United States. Differences of the legal fee deals from government tobacco deals; Details on the settlement agreement; Reason for the drop of tobacco deals in 2000.
- Pricing UK and US securities within the CKLS model Further results. Nowman, K. Ben; Sorwar, Ghulam // International Review of Financial Analysis;1999, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p235
In a recent article, Byers and Nowman obtained estimates of the CKLS interest rate model based on weekly Euro-currency data for the UK and US over a range of maturities. In this article we apply the Box numerical method for valuing default free bonds and cointegent claims using these historical...
- Lawmaker's Bill Would Ease Advance-Refunding Limits. Braun, Martin Z. // Bond Buyer;2/27/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31582, p4
Reports on a possible legislation on a Senate bill in the U.S. Senate as of February 2003, that could ease advance-refunding restrictions related to bonds, allowing states and local governments to take advantage of low interest rates. Details of the bill; Person who introduced the legislation...
- Bill Would Expand IDB Financings, Allow Bank Deductibility on Issues. Duff, Susanna // Bond Buyer;2/27/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31582, p5
Reports on the introduction of a tax legislation in the U.S. House as of February 2003, that would allow more facilities to be financed with industrial development bonds and apply bank deductibility to such bonds on a limited basis. Provisions of the bill; Person who introduced the bill; Impact...
- Bill Could Give Harris Country, Tex., Role in Galveston Bridge. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;3/17/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31594, p7
Reports on a legislative bill to give commissioners of Harris County, Texas the authority to issue bonds secured by a number of revenue sources. Provisions under the bill; Implications of the approval of the bill for the county; Senator who introduced the bill.
- Oregon Bill For $400M In Bonds Set. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;6/28/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31170, p1
Reports on the decision of Oregon governor John Kitzhaber to sign a bill that authorizes sale of bonds for road improvements. Sponsor of the bill; Information regarding date of issue of bills; Disapproval to the proposal of increasing gas taxes to fund transportation projects.
- State Senate Passes Bill Authorizing Up to $6 Billion in Transport Debt. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;2/19/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31327, p5
Reports that the Virginia Senate has approved legislation authorizing the issuance of up to $6 billion in bonds for transportation projects in the eastern part of the state. Significance of the bill for state voters; Provision in the bill related to the utilization of revenues from the bonds;...