Power lobbyists grow intense as congressional clock runs
- Private Utilities Make a Stand Against Public Bid for Control. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;12/03/99, Vol. 330 Issue 30780, p1
Reports the opposition of private utilities to local governments who take over local electric distribution system from an investor-owned utilities in the United States. Information on the controversy in the city Las Cruces, New Mexico; Reaction of residents to high electricity rates.
- 1999 Utility Incentive Guide--Part II. // Energy User News;Aug99, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p19
Presents an electric utilities incentive guide for municipal and cooperative utilities in the United States. Includes MidAmerican Energy Co. Gas; Midwest Energy Corp.; Minnesota Power & Light Co.
- Engineering, business, and technology. Irwin, Patricia // Electrical World;Jul/Aug2000, Vol. 214 Issue 4, p8
Focuses on the commercialization of electric utilities in the United States. Effect of deregulation on the industry; Technological innovations in the electric power industry; Globalization of the industry.
- Muni utilities need to curb fund transfers before deregulation. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;06/23/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30668, p7
Focuses on the need for municipal electric utilities in the United States to reduce the funds they contribute to local governments according to public power and ratings officials. Importance of making such decisions to keep down operating costs in preparation for retail competition;...
- NYMEX predicts municipal utilities will increasingly trade in futures. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;07/09/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30431, p5
Reports that municipal utilities will increasingly trade in electricity futures as the electricity market moves toward deregulation, according to New York Mercantile Exchange officials. Predicted growth of electricity futures trading; Definition of futures contract; Utilities' effort to protect...
- With deregulation around the corner utilities are trying to shave expenses. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;08/07/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30452, p1
Reports that municipal utilities are cutting costs in the wake of the electricity market deregulation in the United States. Methods in saving money; State of utilities in pursuit of cost cutting measures; Case of Santa Clara, California's utility.
- UP AND DOWN CONSTRUCTION. // Electric Perspectives;May/Jun2001, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p130
Provides information on the increase of construction expenditures of electric utility business in the United States for 1999 as compared with 1998. Factors that contributed to the increase; Installation of generation capacity; Decrease of construction expenditures for coal-fired generation;...
- Navigating the minefield of IPP regulatory risk. Zimmer, Michael J. // Electric Light & Power;Jul2000, Vol. 78 Issue 7, p6
Discusses the transition being undergone by the power industry in the United States following its deregulation. Political risks; Regulatory uncertainties; Market challenges; Key market issues that could impact the long-term performance of the industry; Competition and project development.
- Utility industry woes similar to those in phone industry. Bronstad, Amanda // Business Press;12/04/98, Vol. 11 Issue 30, p30
Discusses the similarities and dissimilarities between the telephone and electricity market in the United States. Expected competition and new technology to emerge as a result of deregulation; Regulation of electrical transmission and wiring; Key players in the telephone and electricity market.