Effect of Dosing Frequency on Bisphosphonate Medication Adherence in a Large Longitudinal Cohort of Women
- Efficacy and safety of a bisphosphonate dosed once weekly . Baran, Daniel // Geriatrics;Mar2001, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p28
Evaluates the efficacy and safety of biphosphonate alendronate in treating and preventing postmenopausal osteoporosis. Clinical impact of osteoporosis; Steps in a bone remodeling cycle; Evaluation of other antiresorptive agents.
- Alendronate may help prevent steroid-induced osteoporosis in women. // Geriatrics;Sep98, Vol. 53 Issue 9, p16
Focuses on a study conducted in the United States which reported that bisphosponate alendronate sodium (Fosomax) can prevent and treat postmenopausal osteoporosis and osteoporosis caused by corticosteroid therapy in women. Comments from study co-author, Kenneth Saag; Information on...
- Long-Term Tolerability of the Bisphosphonates in Postmenopausal Osteoporosis: A Comparative Review. Kherani, R.B.; Papaioannou, A.; Adachi, J.D. // Drug Safety;Aug2002, Vol. 25 Issue 11, p781
Osteoporosis in postmenopausal women is a growing health concern for society. Bisphosphonates have become the mainstay of prevention and treatment with the mounting evidence of their efficacy over the past two decades. This review article examines the use of the etidronate, alendronate and...
- Osteoporosis in men: an increasingly recognised health problem usually best treated with bisphosphonates. Adis International Limited // Drugs & Therapy Perspectives;Oct2005, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p7
Deals with the treatment of osteoporosis in men. Comparison of the incidence of osteoporosis in men with that in women; Causes of osteoporosis in men; Role of bisphosphonates in the treatment of the disease.
- Ending Osteoporosis Therapy Doesn't Increase Fracture Risk. // RN;Feb2007, Vol. 70 Issue 2, p57
The article reports that postmenopausal women with osteoporosis who stopped taking alendronate (Fosamax) experienced a moderate decrease in bone mineral density (BMD) but does not increase their chances of fracture according to a study of 1,099 women. The subjects received 5 to 10 milligrams of...
- A once-yearly intravenous infusion of zoledronic acid prevented fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: COMMENTARY. Johnson, Bruce E. // ACP Journal Club;Sept/Oct2007, Vol. 147 Issue 2, p31
The article discusses the implications of bisphosphonate usage in prevention of fractures in post menopausal women suffering from osteoporosis. It is mentioned that the results of bisphosphonate infusion is similar to that of oral consumption of bisphosphonates therefore oral treatment would...
- Alendronate reduces fracture risk for women with low T scores. // Geriatrics;Mar99, Vol. 54 Issue 3, p16
Presents information on a study which determined the efficacy of biphosphonate alendronate sodium in preventing bone fractures in postmenopausal women. Methodology; Findings of the study; Conclusion.
- Risedronate on Two Consecutive Days per Month. Frampton, James E. // Drugs & Aging;2009, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p355
â–´Risedronate, an orally administered pyridinal bisphosphonate, is effective in the treatment and prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Efforts to optimize patient adherence and persistence with, and hence the effectiveness of, therapy have led to the development of a 75mg tablet to be...
- Persistence with weekly and monthly bisphosphonates among postmenopausal women: analysis of a US pharmacy claims administrative database. Tao Fan; Qiaoyi Zhang; Shuvayu S. Sen // ClinicoEconomics & Outcomes Research;2013, Vol. 5, p589
Background: Bisphosphonates are available in daily, weekly, and monthly dosing formulations to treat postmenopausal osteoporosis. Some researchers suggested that adherence to monthly bisphosphonate might be different from that with weekly or daily bisphosphonate because of different dosing...