Worldwide VoIP Tops 10 Million Consumer Mark
- VoIP - It Just Isn't Going To Go Away. Worthman, Ernest // Wireless Design & Development;May2004, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p6
Comments on the Voice over the Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology. Information on PocketSkype, a wireless VoIP product from Luxembourg-based company Skype Technologies; Disadvantages of VoIP technology; Overview of U.S. government policy regarding VoIP, as of May 2004.
- AFTER HOURS: VoIP SERVICES. Yiacoumi, Roulla // Australian PC User;Oct2005, Vol. 17 Issue 10, p128
Focuses on the voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service offered by Skype Technologies SA in Australia. Claims of Skype on the number of people who have downloaded their software; Benefits of the SKype VoIP service; Plans offered by Skype; Call rates of the service.
- Skype. // Foreign Policy;Jul/Aug2005, Issue 149, p92
Focuses on the voice over Internet protocol service Skype. Ability for people to use Skype to make long-distance telephone calls over their computers free of charge; Concern of Western telecommunications companies over the free telephone service; Blocking of access to Skype by the United Arab...
- EBay buys Skype to drive eCommerce. // MarketWatch: Technology;Oct2005, Vol. 4 Issue 10, p21
This article reports that online auctioneer eBay Inc. has announced it is to acquire the peer-to-peer VoIP pioneer Skype Technologies SA for $2.6 billion. Now, under the terms of the deal, the $2.6 billion purchase price could increase by a further $1.5 billion to $4.1 billion, based on the...
- Hold on a Minute...Checking Out the IP Marketplace. Carlson, Caron // eWeek;7/12/2004, Vol. 21 Issue 28, p52
Business of all sizes plan to nearly double spending on IP-based voice communications this year, and vendors and service providers are busy showing off products to fill that need. Enterprises and small and midsize companies will spend an average of $100,000 this year on IP equipment and...
- EBay buys Skype to drive eCommerce. // MarketWatch: Telecoms;Oct2005, Vol. 4 Issue 10, p10
The article reports that online auctioneer eBay Inc. has announced that it is to acquire the peer-to-peer voice over Internet Protocol pioneer Skype Technologies SA for $2.6 billion. The purchase of Luxembourg-based Skype is expected to cut eBay's 2006 earnings per share by $0.12 cents and add...
- Dialing for Less. O'Grady, Jason D.; McFarland, Scholle Sawyer // Macworld;Feb2005, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p78
This article looks at how softphone technology works. Softphones are based on Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). When users use VoIP, they send voice data over packet-based networks instead of over traditional telephone networks. VoIP achieves this feat by relying on several proprietary audio...
- Brightpoint to offer Skype products. // RCR Wireless News;6/13/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 24, p4
Reports on the selection of Brightpoint Inc. as the authorized distributor of products and services from Skype Technologies SA. Plan of Brightpoint to promote the products through Voice over Internet Protocol providers; Terms of a nonbinding agreement between Brightpoint and Skype.
- Talk Gets Cheap. Rothman, Wilson // Money;Mar2006, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p122
This article reports on the telephone options now available through use of the Internet. The author reports that Internet phone use is cheaper than with traditional carriers, and ease of set-up and sound quality are as good. The equipment and services offered by the four Internet telephone...