Has Downsizing Missed Its Mark?
- Are quality improvement and downsizing compatible? Lam, Helen; Reshef, Yonatan // Relations Industrielles / Industrial Relations;Fall99, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p727
Examines the compatibility between quality improvement (QI) and downsizing in corporate organizations. Effect of the combined initiative on employee attitudes and behavior; Impact of QI and downsizing on employee competition; Negative effects of QI and downsizing compatibility; Principles of QI...
- Strategic sourcing. Penson, Peta G. // Business Journal Serving Southern Tier, CNY, Mohawk Valley, Fing;11/11/96, Vol. 10 Issue 23, p23
Looks at strategic sourcing as a option for companies to improve shareholder profits without downsizing. Reduction of costs of goods and services; Reduction in inventory and logistics costs; Reduction of purchasing costs.
- Growth after downsizing. Ramsey, Robert D. // Supervision;Mar97, Vol. 58 Issue 3, p5
Focuses on the direction of business enterprises towards renewed growth. Effects of downsizing on business enterprises; Rejection of downsizing by the business sector; Perception of executives on the proper handling of business growth; Suggestions for business enterprises.
- There are alternatives to downsizing. Cormier, Denise; Walters, Bob // BusinessWest;Dec96, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p39
Focuses on questions that need to be asked by business owners before downsizing. Amount of overhead to be reduced; Alternatives to a head-count reduction; Change of business processes to work better with fewer people.
- What's all this talk about downsizing? Candidus // Chemical Business;Jul97, Vol. 10 Issue 12, p16
Provides information about downsizing, a term used in management of business. Trends in management thinking that results to the transformation of downsizing; Disadvantage of downsizing.
- Six pack or beer gut? Mitchell, Pam // Industrial Management;Sep/Oct2002, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p17
Lists questions that need to be considered by managers when deciding to reorganize their companies into leaner organizations. Questions on the attitudes, activities and behaviors of line managers and supervisors.
- Alternatives to Employee Layoff. Panger, Daniel // Management Review;May71, Vol. 60 Issue 5, p10
Discusses alternatives to employee layoffs. Reduction of workweek; Shortening of the work day; Cancellation of contracts for service work; Temporary plant shutdown; Use of federal job training assistance to keep disadvantaged workers on the job.
- Perception Isn't Reality. Langnau, Leslie // Material Handling Management;Sep2001, Vol. 56 Issue 9, p22
Criticizes the business analysts' perception of downsizing. Benefit of layoff or downsizing; Cost of downsizing; Roles of employees in businesses.
- Surviving Downsizing. Emerson, Keith A. // Business NH Magazine;May2001, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p11
Suggests actions businesses can take to mitigate the negative impact of a downsizing. Assessment of skills; Planning for all phases of the downsizing; Establishment of a steady flow of communication between management and labor; Ways of preparing manager for streamlining and employee dismissals.