Hantavirus: 'tis the season
- Hantavirus Infection in the Republic of Georgia. Kuchuloria, Tinatin; Clark, Danielle V.; Hepburn, Matthew J.; Tsertsvadze, Tengiz; Pimentel, Guillermo; Imnadze, Paata // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Sep2009, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p1489
We describe a laboratory-confirmed case of hantavirus infection in the Republic of Georgia. Limited information is available about hantavirus infections in the Caucasus, although the infection has been reported throughout Europe and Russia. Increasing awareness and active disease surveillance...
- Hantaviruses in SÃ£o Paulo State, Brazil. Figueiredo, Luiz T.; Moreli, Marcos L.; Campos, Gelse M.; Sousa, Ricardo L. M. // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Jul2003, Vol. 9 Issue 7, p891
Focuses on the hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Brazil. Most important hantavirus reservoir in the State of Sao Paolo, Brazil; Occurrence of the syndrome in the country; Epidemiology of the disease.
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome, Southern Chile. Riquelme, Raul; Riquelme, Mauricio; Torres, Antoni; Rioseco, Maria Luisa; Vergara, Jose Antonio; Scholz, Luis; Carriel, Andrea // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Nov2003, Vol. 9 Issue 11, p1438
We analyzed data from 25 consecutive patients with hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) admitted to the Puerto Montt and Osorno Regional Hospitals, southern Chile, from 1997 to 2001, emphasizing epidemiologic, clinical, radiographic, treatment, and laboratory aspects. Hemorrhage was frequent...
- Incidence Rate for Hantavirus Infections without Pulmonary Syndrome, Panama. Armien, Blas; Pascale, Juan M.; Munoz, Carlos; Lee, Sang-Joon; Choi, Kook L.; Avila, Mario; Broce, Candida; Armien, Anibal G.; Gracia, Fernando; Hjelle, Brian; Koster, Frederick // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Oct2011, Vol. 17 Issue 10, p1936
During 2001-2007, to determine incidence of all hantavirus infections, including those without pulmonary syndrome, in western Panama, we conducted 11 communitywide surveys. Among 1,129 persons, antibody prevalence was 16.5%-60.4%. Repeat surveys of 476 found that patients who seroconverted...
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome--Panama, 1999-2000. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;3/17/2000, Vol. 49 Issue 10, p205
Focuses on hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS), an acute viral rodentborne zoonosis characterized by severe cardiopulmonary illness, in Panama between 1999 and 2000. Statistics on HPS cases as of March 6, 2000; Discussion on HPS.
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome Associated with Monongahela Virus, Pennsylvania. Rhodes III, Luther V. // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Nov/Dec2000, Vol. 6 Issue 6, p616
The first two recognized cases of rapidly fatal hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Pennsylvania occurred within an 8-month period in 1997. Illness in the two patients was confirmed by immunohistochemical techniques on autopsy material. Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction analysis of...
- Acute Infection With Sin Nombre Hantavirus without Pulmonary Edema . Zavasky, Dani-Margot; Hjelle, Brian; Peterson, Michael C.; Denton, Robert W.; Reimer, Larry // Clinical Infectious Diseases;9/1/1999, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p664
Describes two cases of Sin Nombre virus infection among adult patients who did not develop severe pulmonary or cardiac complications. Description of the hantavirus cardiopulmonary syndrome (HCPS) and Sin Nombre hantavirus; Details of the medical cases from Utah and California; Impact of the...
- Tracking a killer. Kowalski, Kathiann M. // Odyssey;Feb99, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p20
Focuses on the spread of Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome cases in the United States in 1997. First recorded incidence of the disease; Mice as carrier of the disease; Complications from hantavirus infection. INSET: Ready for anything.
- Hantavirus Infections among Overnight Visitors to Yosemite National Park, California, USA, 2012. Núñez, Jonathan J.; Fritz, Curtis L.; Knust, Barbara; Buttke, Danielle; Enge, Barryett; Novak, Mark G.; Kramer, Vicki; Osadebe, Lynda; Messenger, Sharon; Albariño, César G.; Ströher, Ute; Niemela, Michael; Amman, Brian R.; Wong, David; Manning, Craig R.; Nichol, Stuart T.; Rollin, Pierre E.; Xia, Dongxiang; Watt, James P.; Vugia, Duc J. // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Mar2014, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p386
In summer 2012, an outbreak of hantavirus infections occurred among overnight visitors to Yosemite National Park in California, USA. An investigation encompassing clinical, epidemiologic, laboratory, and environmental factors identified 10 cases among residents of 3 states. Eight case-patients...