Quebec reports C. difficile mortality statistics
- Report: Deaths involving Clostridium difficile: England and Wales, 1999-2004. // Health Statistics Quarterly;Summer2006, Vol. 30, p56
Examines trends in those deaths that involved Clostridium difficile as a contributory factor between 1999 and 2004 in England and Wales. Symptoms of C. difficile; Risk of contracting C. difficile; Identification of deaths involving C. difficile; Number of deaths where C. difficile contributed...
- Newly identified C. difficile strain highly virulent. // Infectious Disease News;May2014, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p37
The article reports on the significant pathogenic potential of the RT244 strain of Clostridium difficile, which was associated with severe disease and a high mortality rate, according to researchers from Monash University in Australia.
- Risk Factors for Mortality in Patients With Clostridium difficile Infection. Huttunen, Reetta; Aittoniemi, Janne // Clinical Infectious Diseases;4/15/2012, Vol. 54 Issue 8, p1214
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Risk factors associated with complications and mortality in patients with Clostridium difficile infection," by R.H. Morrison, N.S. Hall, and M. Said in a 2011 issue.
- Understanding Increased Mortality in Clostridium difficile—Infected Older Adults. Walk, Seth T.; Micic, Dejan; Galecki, Andrzej T.; Young, Vincent B.; Aronoff, David M. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;Aug2013, Vol. 57 Issue 4, p625
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Relationship Between Bacterial Strain Type, Host Biomarkers and Mortality in Clostridium difficile Infection" by A. S. Walker in the 2013 issue.
- Is a diverting loop ileostomy and colonic lavage an alternative to colectomy for the treatment of severe Clostridium difficile-associated disease? Brown, Carl J.; Boutros, Marylise; Morris, Andrew; Divino, Celia M. // Canadian Journal of Surgery;Jun2014, Vol. 57 Issue 3, p214
The article discusses a study on reduction in mortality of patients with severe Clostridium difficile-associated disease (CDAD) with the use of colon-sparing diverting ileostomy with colonic lavage as an alternative to cloectomy. It mentions about the Turnbull-Blowhole colectomy and increase in...
- Clostridium difficile BI: From Canada to the Second City. John, Joseph F. // Infectious Disease Alert;Nov2011, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p18
A 1-month prevalence study was done in 2009 at 25 of the 56 contributing A hospitals participating in the Chicago Health Alert Network. Patients were considered having Clostridium dificile infection (CDI) if they had three or more watery stools and a positive C. dificile toxin or...
- Clostridium difficile-Associated Diarrhea in the Elderly. Brandt, Lawrence J.; Kosche, Katherine A.; Greenwald, David A.; Berkman, David // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Nov1999, Vol. 94 Issue 11, p3263
OBJECTIVE: It is widely believed that Clostridium difficile (C. difficile)-associated diarrhea is a more severe disease in the elderly than in the young, associated with increased morbidity and mortality. These beliefs are largely anecdotal, and there are few data supporting them....
- Quebec's official numbers: 409 C. difficile deaths. Eggertson, Laura // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;11/22/2005, Vol. 173 Issue 11, p1308
Looks at statistics on Clostridium difficile cases in Quebec from August 2004 to August 2005. Death rate associated with Clostridium difficile,; Percentage of patients who acquired the bacteria during hospital stays; Rate of cases wherein Clostridium difficile is the primary cause of death...
- Managing and containing Clostridium difficile disease. Gantz, Nelson M.; Gerding, Dale N.; Johnson, Philip C.; Labson, Lucy H. // Patient Care;4/15/1998, Vol. 32 Issue 7, p171
Presents information on how to manage and contain the Clostridium difficile disease. Definition of Clostridium difficile disease; What symptoms of colonization with C. difficile are caused by; Details on strategies to prevent the horizontal transmission of Clostridium difficile.