Detroit lawmakers threaten lawsuit to wrest schools' control from mayor
- A painful plan to save Detroit's sorry schools. Wildavsky, Ben // U.S. News & World Report;03/15/99, Vol. 126 Issue 10, p30
Discusses plans to reform public education in Detroit, Michigan. Plan by Michigan Governor John Engler; Role of Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer; Controversy about how to improve the schools dividing the black community; Engler's emphasis on education during his term; Engler's relations with...
- STATE JOURNAL. M. L.; K. D. // Education Week;6/16/1993, Vol. 12 Issue 38, p18
The article presents developments pertaining to educational laws and legislation and finance in the U.S. The appointment of new state panel of the school finance system in Alabama made by Governor James E. Folsom Jr. has enraged some in the education community and raised up political conflict. A...
- Of the mayor, mudslinging and Olympian excuses. // Corporate Detroit;Sep96, Vol. 14 Issue 9, p8
Focuses on Detroit, Michigan mayor Dennis Archer. Claim by Archer's election challengers that their message was drowned out by the 1996 Olympics.
- Biz antes up for Archer. Goodin, Michael // Crain's Detroit Business;1/10/94, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p2
Reports on the contributions of Metro Detroit corporations to help defray expenses for Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer's inaugural celebration. Amount of contributions of the companies; Archer's plan to donate proceeds of the inauguration to charity.
- New mayor of Motown. Jones, Lisa C. // Ebony;Jun1995, Vol. 50 Issue 8, p68
Profiles Dennis Archer, mayor of Detroit, Michigan. Coleman A. Young's achievement during his tenure as Detroit's past mayor; Projects initiated by Archer; Archer's total-quality approach to management; Industrial support to Archer's urban empowerment zone project; Family background;...
- Once a lawyer... // Crain's Detroit Business;07/28/97, Vol. 13 Issue 30, p39
Focuses on Dennis Archer, Mayor of Detroit, Michigan. Archer's career as a lawyer; Awards won by Archer.
- When all the dealing was done, 3 players held the casino cards. Ankeny, Robert // Crain's Detroit Business;12/22/97, Vol. 13 Issue 51, p1
Reports that mayor, Dennis Archer had hoped to narrow the field of franchise hopefuls to three winners by November 20th, 1997. Detailed information on Archer's decision; Names of the companies which were the selected winners; Reference to the Michigan Gaming Control Board
- Archer: Apple polisher? Goodin, Michael // Crain's Detroit Business;12/13/93, Vol. 9 Issue 50, p2
Reports on the meeting between Mayor-elect Dennis Archer and 30 public relations agencies for the image rebuilding program of the city.
- Future of Belle Isle a bargain at $3 a car. // Crain's Detroit Business;4/29/96, Vol. 12 Issue 18, p6
Opinion. Offers a look at Belle Isle, a park which Detorit Mayor Dennis Archer will be restoring its former glory through a $3 per-vehicle fee. Opposition from Detroit City Counil members; Background information on the park.