- LUMA CREATES OUT-OF-SIGHT EFFECTS FOR IN TIME. // Digital Video;Dec2011, Vol. 19 Issue 12, p16
The article offers information about the special effects used by Luma Pictures in the film "In Time," wherein they provided 65 shots for the film including extensions of set of several famous building exteriors and interiors, robust matte painting work, and replacement of structural features.
- Level 256, Luma Pictures Rule VFX on The Dictator. // Digital Video;Jul2012, Vol. 20 Issue 7, p10
The article reports that over 60 video effects (VFX) shots for the film "The Dictator" have been produced by Level 256 Visual Effects, while a New York skyline VFX was created by Luma Pictures.
- On the Creative Planet Network. // Digital Video;Aug2012, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p12
The article reports on the move of Luma Pictures which created holographic effects for the film "Prometheus" and of DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. which used HP technology throughout the production of "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted."
- Linux invades Hollywood. Rowe, Robin // Computer Graphics World;Sep2001, Vol. 24 Issue 9, p38
Focuses on the use of Linus, an animation operating system for motion pictures. Background of the operating system; Deployment of the Linux system by studios; Variation of boards and open source drivers for Linux workstation buyers.
- Macs lose starring role. Beale, Stephen // Macworld;Sep96, Vol. 13 Issue 9, p41
Reports on the competition between Windows NT and Macintosh in the special effects market in the motion picture industry in the United States. Role played by Macintosh as a low-cost alternative in the market; Popularity of Macintosh applications like Adobe After Effects and Photoshop; Comments...
- Effect-ive. Linecker, Anton // Macworld;Apr2002, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p21
Interviews visual effects supervisor Stephanie Powell on the application of Mac OS X in motion picture special effects. Application of Macs in the company; Prediction on the future of special-effects business.
- How Horror Sounds. Stein, Joel // Time;3/24/2003, Vol. 161 Issue 12, p63
Reports on the production of the motion picture 'Dreamcatcher,' directed by Lawrence Kasdan. Efforts of Kasdan to create sound effects for the horror film; His oeuvre, including 'The Big Chill' and others outside this genre; His consideration of what makes a film scary to an audience.
- Deep Trouble. Argy, Stephanie // American Cinematographer;Aug2005, Vol. 86 Issue 8, p58
Discusses the underwater cinematography of the science fiction film "The Cave," collaborated by Ross Emery and Wes Skiles. Plot of the film; Film crews' comparison of footage taken by Arri 35-3 Sony HDW-900/3 and Sony HDC-F950 4:4:4 camera; Lighting techniques used in the underwater cave; Visual...
- Horror Film Lighting on a Budget. O'Rourke, Terry // Videomaker;Oct2012, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p54
The article offers tips on promoting a sense of mystery and special effects in a horror movie through lighting. It stresses that, with a few well placed lights, color gels and an assistant to jiggle things around, one does not always need specialized lighting equipment or lighting studio to...