Ohio legislature considers tax increase, GOs as part of school-funding system overhaul
- Ohio lawmakers propose raising sales tax for education funding. Williamson, Tammy // Bond Buyer;01/30/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30321, p54
Reports on a proposed legislation in Ohio for education spending reform. Possible inclusion of new bond issues to finance schools; Raising of sales tax as part of the overhaul of the education funding system; Increase in special education funding; Proposed election to decide the sales tax increase.
- Ohio lawmakers rush to put tax increase before voters in May. Goldsmith, Steve // Bond Buyer;02/05/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30325, p3
Reports on the efforts of Ohio lawmakers to meet a deadline to put a half-cent sales tax increase up for voter approval in May 1998. Use of tax hike as part of a school aid package; Evaluation of legislation that would allow the state to sell general obligation bonds to finance local school...
- Ohio attorney general seeks extension of school funding deadline. Goldsmith, Steve // Bond Buyer;03/12/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30349, p34
Reports that Ohio Attorney General Betty D. Montgomery has asked the state Supreme Court to delay its scrutiny of the state's new school funding method until voters decide on a proposed sales tax hike. Aim of the proposed tax increase to raise $1.1 billion annually to be divided equally between...
- Legislative tally: Businesses scored some big wins this year. BUSTAMANTE, JERRY // Inside Tucson Business;7/12/2013, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p12
The article offers the author's insights on several reforms and bills passed in the Arizona Legislature in 2013. The author relates the House Bill (HB) passed by Arizona Governor Jan Brewer which would change the sales tax system in the state. He explores the HB 2147 which was passed in the...
- Iowa Sales Tax Will Funnel Funding To Local School Construction Work. A. P. // Education Week;5/14/2008, Vol. 27 Issue 37, p5
The article reports that Chet Culver, the Democratic Governor of Iowa, signed into law a 1-percent increase in the state sales tax, which will replace a local-option already collected by counties in the state. The article explains that the revenue will be spent to renovate and build new schools...
- Tax Hike Opponents Arise. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;8/2/2011, Vol. 377 Issue 33558, p7
The article focuses on the creation of a political action committee group comprising of several residents from Little Rock, Arkansas named as 500 Million Dollars Tax-Too Much aimed at opposing Mayor Mark Stodola's proposal to raise the city's sales tax rate by 1% to fund capital projects.
- Illinois' tax could be N.H.'s gain. Barry, Curtis J. // New Hampshire Business Review;5/20/2011, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p19
The article focuses on the issue regarding sales tax policies in New Hampshire, in which it mentions that Illinois is not alone in passing the legislation as five other states have enacted laws requiring out-of-state retailers to collect sales taxes if they have online affiliates in the state.
- Hidden tax, open chaos. Jenkinson, Michael // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;2/10/97, Vol. 24 Issue 9, p9
Discusses the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) scheduled to take effect April 1, 1997 in Canada. Bill C-70's legislative status; Reaction from various national retailers; Threats made by Carlton Cards Ltd. and Woolworth Canada Inc. in regards to HST; Views of the Canadian Tax Foundation; Discussion...
- Half-cent tax didn't stand a chance. Cross, Cheri // Inside Tucson Business;03/24/97, Vol. 6 Issue 52, p4
Comments on the unsuccessful attempt of the United States House to implement a half-cent sales tax. Sales tax adjustments; Plans for the sales tax implementation; Benefits of the plans to the advancement of educational facilities; Beliefs concerning the Groscost-Keegan plan.