Oklahoma group urges local bond exemption
- Fate of tax law proposals affecting bonds is still unclear. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/02/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30179, p1
Discloses that it is still uncertain whether several bond-related tax law changes will be enacted in 1997. Moves by the House and Senate to each adopt their own tax-cutting programs; United States President Bill Clinton's release of his own comprehensive tax cut plan. INSET: Mirror company,...
- IRS ruling: Airport PFCs fail private-payment test. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;09/04/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30223, p5
Focuses on the Internal Revenue Service's private-letter ruling released in September 1997, which deemed bonds backed by passenger facility charges that finance airport improvements for private businesses as private-activity bonds and are thus subject to alternative minimum tax. Terms of the...
- Appeals court: Individual cannot depreciate tax-exempt bonds. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;03/06/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30345, p4
Reports on the ruling of the US Federal Court of Appeals in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma exempting individual for depreciation deductions for alleged life interest in tax-exempt bonds. Background on the case involving tax attorney Julian P. Kornfeld; Legislative basis of the court's decision.
- Issuer's late payment does not mean bonds are taxable, says IRS ruling. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;04/07/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30367, p4
Reports that the Internal Revenue Service released a ruling concluding that certain bonds issued by an unidentified party are not taxable and that the issuer deserves a refund. Bond lawyers' reactions to the ruling; Specific cases for which the ruling applies.
- Health care mergers factor into move to lift 501(c)(3) cap. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/16/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30188, p1
Reports on the US Senate's agreement to repeal the cap on the amount of tax-exempt bonds that nonhospital 501(c)(3) organizations can have outstanding. Lobbying by industry representatives to ensure that the cap will no longer hinder mergers and joint ventures in the health care sector; Issue...
- De minimis effort moves into crucial stage. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/29/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30197, p4
Reports that bond representatives from the US Congress and President Bill Clinton's administration are negotiating over legislation that would implement the balanced budget agreement's $85 billion net tax cut on bonds. Concern about several municipal bond-related provisions.
- Tax legislation municipal bond box scores. // Bond Buyer;07/30/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30198, p4
Presents a chart that compares various provisions of the American tax law governing municipal bonds with the changes agreed to by congressional Republican leaders and President Bill Clinton's administration. De minimis rule on corporations' bond indebtedness; Alternative minimum tax; Arbitrage...
- Increase in tax-exempt bond cap considered. // AHA News;06/16/97, Vol. 33 Issue 23, p4
Reports on Ways and Means Committee Chairman Bill Archer's (R-TX) proposal on raising the cap on the amount of tax-exempt bonds issued by nonprofit organizations. Increase of the cap by $10 million annually; Limitation of the bond cap; American Hospital Association's support for repealing of...
- Tax-exempt bond/arbitrage restrictions rules. // Practical Accountant;Jul97, Vol. 30 Issue 7, p20
Focuses on the regulations for arbitrage and other restrictions pertaining to tax-exempt bonds. Who issues the regulations; Effective date.