Time to Choose Love or Respect
- Low-Tech, High-Touch Community Relations. Coleman, Ronny J. // Fire Chief;Sep2012, Vol. 56 Issue 9, p72
In this article the author who is a certified fire chief and a master instructor in the California Fire Service Training and Education System, emphasizes the importance of maintaining community relations. It mentions that following up after an incident would let residents know that you care. He...
- Put the Relationships Back in Public Relations for Fire Prevention. Coleman, Ronny // Fire Chief Expert Blog;9/14/2012, p2
The author reflects on the need for firefighters to meet people in person to establish a relationship with the community, instead of depending on the computer for communication. He discusses the performance of follow-ups in fire incidents to gain the support of residents and to inform them about...
- The Duck Method of Management. Maibach, Robert H. // Fire Engineering;Oct2012, Vol. 165 Issue 10, p93
The author discusses the management of fire departments, and ways that allowing the public and government officials to see the struggle of fire fighters could help stop budget cuts during the economic downturn in 2012. Strategic planning for fire departments, delegation of tasks, and public...
- Look Inside a Firehouse! // Scholastic News -- Edition 1;Oct2001, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p1
Describes the routine of firefighters inside a fire station.
- When seeing red is a good thing. Sanders, Ramona C. // Collinsville Herald;8/22/2012, Vol. 54 Issue 34, pA2
The article announces that the Collinsville Fire Department in Illinois will be participating in the Red Shirts Fridays national initiative where every firefighter will wear red shirts on Fridays beginning August 2012 as a way of showing support to the men and women serving in the U.S. military.
- LACK OF TRAINING, EQUIPMENT LEAD TO FATAL FIRES IN DETROIT. Claxton, Melvin; Hurt, Charles // IRE Journal;May/Jun2001, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p14
Discusses the problems posed by inadequate training and equipment of firefighters in Detroit, Michigan.
- MANAGING THE PROBATIONARY FIREFIGHTER. Avillo, Anthony // Fire Engineering;Sep2001, Vol. 154 Issue 9, p39
Focuses on the ways in managing probationary firefighters. Upgrading of a firefighter; Obligations of the fire department on recruited firefighters; Orientation period of recruited firefighters.
- HEY, I'M STILL ASKING! Brennan, Tom // Fire Engineering;Feb2003, Vol. 156 Issue 2, p144
Discusses issues concerning the tactics of fire departments. Importance of a roll call for on-duty firefighters; Preparedness of the staff in a fire department; Duties and responsibilities of a fire personnel.
- WHEN TO 'SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF.' Wallace, Mark // Fire Engineering;Mar2003, Vol. 156 Issue 3, p175
Discusses the factors that should be focused on by firefighters. Types of fire departments; Factors that influence the duty performance of firefighters; Characteristics of a responsible firefighter.