The state of the world's children: Canada's paltry aid contribution
- CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC: UN CALLS ON DONORS TO CLOSE MASSIVE FUNDING GAP. // African Business News;1/31/2014, p21
The article reports that the United Nations has said that nearly two million people will be forced to go without food and basic necessities unless additional funding is secured for the Central African Republic (CAR).
- Millennium Summit Road Map. // UN Chronicle;Dec2001-Feb2002, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p40
Focuses on the economic assistance program of the United Nations. Goals of the program; Eradication of poverty and hunger; Achievement in primary education.
- Decade of the disaster. Gillen, David // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);10/26/91, Vol. 303 Issue 6809, p1017
Focuses on the increase of the economic gap between the richest and poorest nations despite continuing aid of the United Nations. Need for rich countries to reduce debt repayments; Importance of appointing a Secretary General with authority and funding; Estimated loss suffered by developing...
- Africa does not need aid, but the opportunity for fair trade. Malweyi, Inwani // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);10/1/2005, Vol. 331 Issue 7519, p784
Discusses the need for fair trade in Africa, rather than aid. Factors that have worked in synergy to reverse the little gain that the continent had made in the early 1970s; How the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund have been pushing poor African governments with aid conditions that...
- EDITORIAL. Goldsmith, Zac // Ecologist;Jul/Aug2005, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p5
This article comments on the Make Poverty History campaign. The campaign does go further than its predecessors. It calls on rich countries to double the amount of money given in aid to African nations, to cancel their debts, and to do all they can to provide poor countries with greater access to...
- FromLive 8 to G8: only results matter. // New Statesman;6/6/2005, Vol. 134 Issue 4743, p6
Discusses the quality of life in Africa. How Africa is a poor country and its citizens are suffering; Efforts of England in offering financial assistance to Africa; How the United States has spent more on the war than on helping Africa.
- The United Nations' `development activities'. Eberstadt, Nicholas // World Affairs;Spring97, Vol. 159 Issue 4, p151
Assesses the impact of the United Nations' (UN) development assistance policies on economic development in Third World countries. Development assistance and postwar economic development; Quality and effectiveness of UN development activities; UN agencies, conferences and commissions for...
- Report: Israel urged Canada to maintain Palestinian aid despite U.N. bid. // Jewish Telegraphic Agency: 1922 to present;7/11/2013, p1
TORONTO (JTA) -- Israel asked Canada not to cut aid to the Palestinians in retaliation for their bid for upgraded status at the United Nations, newly revealed documents show.
- The Millennium Development Goals, How Realistic Are They? Keyzer, Michiel; Wesenbeeck, Lia // De Economist (0013-063X);Sep2006, Vol. 154 Issue 3, p443
In its Millennium Declaration of September 2000, the United Nations adopted the Millennium Development Goals (MDG), to be reached in 2015 through concerted efforts worldwide. According to UN-calculations, the estimated costs in terms of additional development aid of meeting the MDGs in all...