Lawrence fiasco puts the spotlight on police culture
- The Met braces itself for judgement. Cathcart, Brian // New Statesman;09/25/98, Vol. 127 Issue 4404, p38
Presents views on the Stephen Lawrence and Metropolitan police case in Britain. Comments from Michael Mansfield QC on behalf of the Lawrence family; Criticism on the investigation of the case; Allegation on racism.
- Police words without meaning. Cathcart, Brian // New Statesman;05/08/98, Vol. 127 Issue 4384, p27
Comments on the inquiry into the death of a black man name Stephen Lawrence, who died following a stabbing incident by white men in April, 1998 in Great Britain. Why the crime is cited to be racist; How the Association of Chief Police Officers (OCPO) classifies an incident as racial; Reflection...
- To confront racism, Britain redefines it. MacLeod, Alexander // Christian Science Monitor;3/1/99, Vol. 91 Issue 64, p6
Describes a report which asserted racism and incompetence in Scotland Yard, London, England. Investigation of the murder of black student Stephen Lawrence by a white gang; Lawrence's attackers never punished; Details about the report chaired by judge Sir William Macpherson; Reaction from Prime...
- Building on change after Lawrence. Buck, Karen // Regeneration & Renewal;8/10/2009, p14
In this article the author discusses the changes that happened 10 years after the killing of Stephen Lawrence whose involved killers remained unpunished since the investigation was afflicted by the incompetence and failure of leadership by the senior officers and institutional racism. She...
- Only undercover reporting could reveal the truth about racism in the police. Howe, Darcus // New Statesman;10/27/2003, Vol. 132 Issue 4661, p11
Focuses on the revelation of racial hostility to blacks and Asians at the Police Training Centre at Bruche. The reaction of Home Secretary David Blunkett to the BBC documentary; Background on how reporter Mark Daly investigated efforts to eradicate racism; View that the BBC should be commended...
- Don't pay the Lawrences so much money. Colbey, Richard // New Statesman;10/23/2000, Vol. 129 Issue 4509, p31
Focuses on the amount paid by the Metropolitan Police of Great Britain to the parents of Stephen Lawrence for bungling a murder investigation. Details on the murder case; Matters that presumably cause the Lawrences distress.
- Verdict on the police. // People Management;3/11/1999, Vol. 5 Issue 5, p12
Presents comments on the actions taken by the police in investigating the murder of Stephen Lawrence in Great Britain.
- An inspector stalls. Cathcart, Brian // New Statesman;06/26/98, Vol. 127 Issue 4391, p18
Presents information relating to the testimony given by officials of the Metropolitan Police Department, related to an inquiry into the 1993 racially-motivated murder of Stephen Lawrence in Great Britain. Names of the persons giving testimony; Problems associated with the testimony given;...
- Regional Roundup. // New Crisis (15591603);May/Jun99, Vol. 106 Issue 3, p47
Focuses on police misconducts in the United States. Branches in some regions which report police misconduct; Programs to prevent and monitor such conduct; Incidents of racial discrimination.