- Science Groups Write Guide To Help Minority Recruiting. Cavanagh, Sean // Education Week;10/13/2004, Vol. 24 Issue 7, p12
The article focuses on the guide written by science group to help recruitment of minorities. With increasing regularity, politicians, economists, and academic researchers are calling for greater efforts to recruit young people into science and engineering, arguing that the national prosperity...
- WOMEN, MINORITIES, AND PUBLIC EMPLOYER ATTITUDES: THE CASE OF FIRE CHIEFS AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION. Slack, James D. // Public Administration Quarterly;Fall89, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p388
The article assesses the extent to which fire chiefs support the principle and practice of affirmative action and examines the impact of several factors on fire chiefs' attitudes towards the recruitment of women and minorities in the U.S. The trend toward federal withdrawal from strict...
- Racial exclusion from J-school to newsroom. Neuwirth, Robert // Editor & Publisher;04/25/98, Vol. 131 Issue 17, p12
Focuses on journalism professor Chuck Stone's call for newspaper publishers in the United States to commit to hire employees who would reflect the diversity of their communities. Journalism schools' failure to recruit minority students or faculty; Stone's speech at the Newspaper Association of...
- Firms turn away from employment targets. Overell, Stephen // People Management;03/06/97, Vol. 3 Issue 5, p19
Reports that organizations have given up setting targets for the employment of ethnic minorities, women and disabled people according to a research released to `People Management.' Aim of the research; Difference between managing diversities and equal opportunities.
- Using FAIR to Set Numerical EEO Goals. Marimont, Rosalind B.; Maize, Kennedy P.; Harley, Ernest // Public Personnel Management;May/Jun76, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p191
Describes the Feasible Allocation to Improve Representation (FAIR) used in setting goals for the Equal employment opportunity. Goals of the FAIR on maintenance of merit standards; List of fundamental concepts introduced by FAIR; Definition of proper employee representation.
- What they don't tell you about affirmative action. Chappell, Kevin // Ebony;Aug1995, Vol. 50 Issue 10, p46
Reports on the controversy surrounding the proposal by some sectors in the United States to dismantle affirmative action programs. White male's allegation that they are losing jobs to unqualified blacks; Equal opportunities offered to blacks through minority programs; Drawbacks to affirmative...
- A NOTE ON INTERMINORITY GROUP COMPETITION FOR FEDERAL POSITIONS. Rosenbloom, David H. // Public Personnel Management;Jan/Feb73, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p43
Focuses on the interminority group competition for federal equal employment opportunity (EEO) program in the U.S. Emphasis of federal EEO program on non-black minority groups; Proportion between blacks and Spanish surnamed persons; Incidence of competition among interminorities.
- The affirmative action debate. Steinberg, Stephen // UNESCO Courier;Mar96, Vol. 49 Issue 3, p17
Focuses on the criticisms against affirmative action which aims to combat workplace discrimination against minorities in the United States. Distinction of affirmative action from policies of non-discrimination; Occupational apartheid; Corporate inertia.
- Whites and wrongs. Smith, Wendy // Director;Jul99, Vol. 52 Issue 12, p30
Reveals that equal opportunities in the workplace are still not being taken seriously by the British government. Findings of a report from the Better Regulation Task Force; Examination on the issue of the underrepresentation of blacks and Asians in the workplace; Move made by the West Bromwich...