N.Y.S. counties gauge risk of issuing tobacco bonds
- Groups Hit SEC Over ABS Rules. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;11/17/2010, Vol. 374 Issue 33418, p1
The article reports on the issues surrounding the proposed rules on asset-backed securities (ABS) to municipal bonds from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). According to bond market groups, if SEC would push through with its ABS rules on municipal bonds, the government agency...
- Illinois Exhales After Tobacco Deal. Seymour, Dan // Investment Dealers' Digest;12/3/2010, Vol. 76 Issue 44, p9
The article reports on the success of the tobacco securitization deal between Illinois' Railsplitter Tobacco Settlement Authority and Citigroup Inc. and Barclays Capital Inc. It explains that despite the fall of the tobacco sector, Illinois was able to gain buyers due to the conservative...
- And Then There Were None: The Rise and Fall of the Financial Guaranty Industry. Lau, Catherine R. // Proceedings of the Northeast Business & Economics Association;2011, p265
This paper addresses the underpinnings of the financial guaranty industry, the role it played in the U.S municipal bond market, its expansion into structured finance and international markets, the cracks that existed all along in its AAA facade, its quick demise.
- The Economics of the Short-lived Financial Guaranty Insurance Industry. Lau, Catherine // Leadership & Organizational Management Journal;2013, Vol. 2013 Issue 3, p21
The article explores the economics of the short-lived financial guaranty insurance industry in the U.S. Topics addressed include the impact of the industry on the economics of the municipal bond market and the effect of ratings downgrades of financial guarantor on the auction-rate securities...
- 20 N.Y. Counties May Issue Bonds. O'Connor, Jeanine // Bond Buyer;09/27/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30984, p2
Announces that almost a third of New York's 62 counties are preparing to band together to sell tobacco settlement-backed bonds.
- Muni-backed CDOs On deck for Q3. // Asset Securitization Report;6/25/2001, Vol. 1 Issue 25, p6
Reports on the expected recovery of municipal bond-backed collateralized debt obligations (CDO) in the United States in the third quarter of 2001. Predictions by Standard & Poor's on CDO; Tax issues related to CDO structuring.
- ABS Still Suffers from Last Fall's Turmoil, But Healthy New Patterns Are Emerging. O'Leary, Christopher // Investment Dealers' Digest;07/12/99, Vol. 65 Issue 28, p21
Reports plans to restructure the asset-backed securities (ABS) market as a response to the crisis in bond market liquidity in the United States. Withdrawal of issuers from ABS; Reason of the decline in issuance volumes; Review of the performance of the ABS market from 1998 to July 1999.
- No Longer Bulletproof, ABS Takes a Hit From Bond Turmoils. Reinebach, Adam // Investment Dealers' Digest;01/10/2000, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p20
Reports the impact of bond market performance on asset-backed securities in the United States for year 1999. Factors affecting the performance of the market; Impact of issuer attrition and consolidation on the market; Types of assets giving balance to the market; Projected increase in issuance...
- European CBO Market Taps U.S. Assets and Expertise. Conrad, Lee; Gregory, Michael // High Yield Report;04/17/2000, Vol. 11 Issue 16, p13
Reports that Europe's high yield bond market is facing industry concentration issues that likely will spawn a wave of issues backed by a mixture of both European and American high-yield assets.