NUCLEAR POWER-On a roll or on the ropes?
- The nuclear legacy. Stover, Dawn // Popular Science;Aug95, Vol. 247 Issue 2, p52
Assesses the legacy of nuclear energy in the United States. Previous optimism on the benefits from the source of energy; Problems on the disposal of nuclear wastes; Proposed permanent underground nuclear waste disposal. INSET: Taking apart a nuclear reactor, by D.S..
- Put it all in Yucca Mountain. // Ecologist;Apr2002, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p11
Focuses on the plan of U.S. President George W. Bush to dispose high-level nuclear waste at the Yucca Mountain in Nevada. Brief information on the proposal he forwarded to the U.S. Congress. Significance of nuclear energy to the national energy policy; Opposition to the proposal.
- FINLAND: DEEP DISPOSAL WITH PUBLIC APPROVAL. Pierce, Julia // Engineer (00137758);7/11/2003, Vol. 292 Issue 7631, p27
Describes how Finland won the battle to secure broad public acceptance of nuclear power and a deep depository to deal with the resulting waste. Fallout from the Chernobyll disaster; Public consultation process; Plan to send and bury 6,500 tons of spend uraniums in copper canisters in the island...
- Clearing the Air Of Nuclear Myths. Spun, Brandon // Insight on the News;5/20/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 18, p24
Assesses the use of nuclear energy. Advantages of nuclear power; Reason for the efforts of investors to avoid nuclear power plant investments; Problem of nuclear waste disposal.
- Contributions of basic nuclear physics to the nuclear waste management. Flocard, Hubert // AIP Conference Proceedings;2002, Vol. 610 Issue 1, p59
Nuclear fission is presently a contested method of electricity production. The issue of nuclear waste management stands out among the reasons why. On the other hand, the nuclear industry has demonstrated its capacity to reliably generate cheap electricity while producing negligible amounts of...
- Nuclear probe. // New Scientist;11/3/90, Vol. 128 Issue 1741, p23
Reports that Dutch Ministers of Parliament have approved a government plan to spend millions of dollars evaluating the safety of nuclear power and the disposal of nuclear waste. Assessment of the safety of the country's two nuclear reactors; Sensitivity of the government to the threat of rising...
- Plans Underway to Move Ahead with Repository. // Nuclear Waste News;3/6/2014, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p5
The article offers information on the nuclear waste disposal repository plans of France, as of March 2014. Topics discussed include production of electricity from nuclear power in France, lack nuclear waste disposal sites and France government spending to support local community projects related...
- Reversibility and Retrievability in Geologic Disposal of Radioactive Waste. // OECD Papers;2002, Vol. 2 Issue 8, p3
Examines reversibility and retrievability issues in the planning and development of engineered geologic repositories for radioactive waste disposal. Importance of the responsible management of radioactive wastes; Arguments for and against making provisions for retrievability in waste disposal...
- NATIONAL LEGISLATIVE AND REGULATORY ACTIVITIES. // Nuclear Law Bulletin;2004, Issue 73, p69
Reports on the legislative and regulatory activities of various countries related to nuclear energy. Regulations on radioactive waste management in Albania; Decree on the organization of the Ministry of Federal Planning, Public Investment and Services in Argentina; Law on amendments and...