- The Perruche judgment and the "right not to be born". Spriggs, M.; Savulescu, J. // Journal of Medical Ethics;Apr2002, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p63
The French government has given in to public pressure and overturned a controversial legal ruling which recognised the right of a disabled chld to seek damaages. Most notably, the ruling, widely described as establishing a child's right "not to be born", had provoked "outrage" amongst groups...
- Collective Bargaining Arbitration Clause No Bar to ADA Suit. // Dispute Resolution Journal;Jan1995, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p88
Features the case `Block v. Art Iron Inc.,' concerning the violation of the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act. Move for summary judgment; Arbitration clause in the collective bargaining agreement; Employee's civil rights claim.
- Illinois faces ADA suit. // Business Insurance;1/3/94, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p2
Reports on the US Justice Department lawsuit against the state of Illinois for its alleged noncompliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). Justice Department's review of practices of other states to determine existence of violation of ADA; Potential effect of the suit on private...
- ADA pre-empts comp, California court rules. // Business Insurance;3/27/95, Vol. 29 Issue 13, p13
Reports on a US District Court ruling that the Americans With Disabilities Act preempts a state's workers compensation exclusive remedy provision.
- The ADA's wide reach. Hansen, Mark // ABA Journal;Dec93, Vol. 79 Issue 12, p14
Looks at the number of decisions under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Examples of lawsuits; Number of cases; Types of complaints.
- Latest ADA decisions: Helpful or harmful. Floyd III, William H. // South Carolina Business Journal;Aug99, Vol. 18 Issue 7, p1
Reports on the United States Supreme Court's rulings on the 1990 Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). Absence of protection for individuals with impairments that can be corrected through mitigating measures; Effect of pursuing both Social Security Disability Insurance and an ADA claim;...
- Combat Karate Class Illustrates ADA 'Direct Threat' Exception. Kozlowski, James C. // Parks & Recreation;Nov2000, Vol. 35 Issue 11, p34
Reviews the case Montalvo versus Radcliffe which was heard by the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit which deals on equal opportunity for disabled persons. Facts of the case; Discussion on the provisions of the American With Disabilities Act (ADA) law; How direct threat and...
- Who's the boss? Cultice, Peter N. // ABA Journal;Mar1995, Vol. 81 Issue 3, p50
Focuses on the problems associated with the determination of an employer under the 1994 American Disabilities Act (ADA). Increase in the number of employee discrimination lawsuits; Legal precedents for the interpretation of the term employer as applied to the ADA.
- THE LAWYERS' FRIEND. Seligman, Daniel; Lieber, Ronald B. // Fortune;5/29/1995, Vol. 131 Issue 10, p176
Comments on `EEOC Order 915.002, Section 902, Definition of the Term `Disability''--a document created by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission pursuant to its effort to find some clear operational meaning in the Americans With Disability Act of 1990. Opinion that this document is an...