Viacom Split-Up Becomes a Reality
- CBS Corp. in the Fish Bowl. Sherman, Jay // Television Week;1/9/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p17
This article reports that Wall Street and the entertainment industry are about to get an up-close look at the inner workings of a broadcast network with the breakup of Viacom as of January 2006. CBS began trading as a separate company last week following the year-end split of Viacom into two...
- Is Retrans Cash Viable? Farrell, Mike; Moss, Linda // Multichannel News;4/25/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 17, p41
Questions the viability of the retransmission profits of CBS Television Network, the cable television network being operated by Viacom Inc. Plans of the company to divide its operating units; Potential impact of its corporate spinoff on retransmission consent; Possibility of retransmission...
- CBS, Paramount Divisions Merge. Lisotta, Christopher // Television Week;9/13/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 37, p6
Reports on the merger of CBS Productions and Paramount Network Television, production entities of Viacom Television Stations Group. Companies that will not be affected by the merger; Personnel changes at CBS Productions and Paramount Network Television due to the merger.
- MTV President To Step Down After 17 Years At Network. // Jet;3/10/2008, Vol. 113 Issue 9, p33
The article reports that Christina Norman is leaving her position as president of Music Television (MTV) at the end of March 2008. Norman had been president of the Viacom-owned station since May 2005. Norman states that she wanted to explore something new after 17 years with the company. Norman...
- Viacom's Triple Play Reshapes Miami Area. Murphy, Jeremy // MediaWeek;10/1/2001, Vol. 11 Issue 36, p11
Reports on the television stations being operated by Viacom in Miami, Florida. Benefits of consolidating station operations; Challenges posed by operating many stations; Effect of broadcasting the basketball games of the Miami Heat basketball team.
- THIS JUST IN. // Multichannel News;5/12/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 19, p2
Presents news items related to developments in the U.S. cable industry as of May 12, 2003. Viacom Inc. president and chief operating officer to testify before the Senate Commerce Committee; Plans of rural independent cable system ADA Cablevision with regard to sports television network ESPN;...
- Mini-upfronts for CBS, UPN. McClintock, Pamela // Daily Variety;9/10/2004, Vol. 284 Issue 48, p4
Reports that Viacom's CBS and UPS stations are hosting a series of mini-upfronts for spot media buyers in major cities including Los Angeles, California and Gotham, New York. Design of the sessions.
- MCN Online Poll Results. // Multichannel News;11/3/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 44, p41
Presents the results of an online poll conducted by "Multichannel News" magazine regarding the decision of Cablevision to spinoff Rainbow digital broadcast satellite television.
- The Back of the Book. Rosenblatt, Roger // New Republic;9/17/77, Vol. 177 Issue 12, p45
Comments on television programs in the U.S. Views of those who believe that television programs are not worth watching; Samples of several television programs; Argument that if the running television programs are successful they will breed "spin-offs," the system which spots the biggest idiot in...