- Gibson gains on NBC News. Learmonth, Michael // Daily Variety;7/12/2006, Vol. 292 Issue 6, p5
Charlie Gibson has helped "World News Tonight" of ABC to either equal or surpass his former news broadcast "Good Morning America" of NBC in the ratings for the 25-54 demography. According to ABC News senior vice president Paul Slavin, the competition among news broadcasts will tighten even more...
- ABC's news: 2 anchors, 3 live feeds. Gough, Paul J. // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;12/6/2005, Vol. 392 Issue 6, p1
This article reports on the announcement made by ABC News that it will make room for two at "World News Tonight." ABC News gave the nod to two rising stars, Elizabeth Vargas and Bob Woodruff both of who had been filling in on "World News Tonight" in recent months. By declining to elevate "Good...
- 'World' pulls ahead. // Variety;12/10/2001, Vol. 385 Issue 4, p25
Reports on the ranking of the television program 'World News Tonight,' of ABC News among the evening newscasts in total viewership. Average total viewers of the program.
- 'World' without 'Jennings' Learmonth, Michael // Daily Variety;8/16/2005, Vol. 288 Issue 31, p3
Reports that ABC News has dropped "With Peter Jennings" from the name of "World News Tonight" after consulting with Jennings' family. Jennings' death due to lung cancer.
- ABC News reaches a crossroads. Learmonth, Michael // Daily Variety;8/9/2005, Vol. 288 Issue 26, p1
Reports on the decision of ABC News to retain the title of the television program "World News Tonight With Peter Jennings" after the death of host Peter Jennings in the U.S. Succession issues raised by his death for the news division; Accomplishment of Jennings for establishing the first U.S....
- Bowl Games Skew 'World News' Start. Greppi, Michele // Television Week;1/9/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p1A
The article reports that ABC News asked its local stations in Los Angeles and San Francisco, California not to carry the live broadcast of "World News Tonight," for couple of nights in January 2006. It reveals the reason behind the move and examines it impact on the program's ratings. It...
- Gibson Boosts 'World News.'. Romano, Allison // Broadcasting & Cable;7/10/2006, Vol. 136 Issue 27, p34
The article reports on the impact of television news anchor Charles Gibson on the World News Tonight of ABC. Since Gibson took over the program, it made strides against its rival Nightly News With Brian Williams of NBC. The recent moves of ABC are still notable despite news viewership being...
- Jennings, ABC News fumbling. Lafayette, Jon // Electronic Media;11/24/97, Vol. 16 Issue 48, p4
Focuses on the `World News Tonight' of American Broadcasting Company (ABC) News and its fall from the top of the network news ratings since 1989. Cause of the fall of `World News' and `Good Morning America'; Effects of Cable News Network (CNN) President Rick Kaplan hiring of staffers from ABC...
- Precious Minutes. Cooper, Jim // MediaWeek;09/18/2000, Vol. 10 Issue 36, pE38
Discusses how the `World News Tonight' television program covers issues on the 2000 election in the United States. Why news item is important for the program; Activities in the program's newsroom; News story presented by the program.