American Values and Social Justice: Why Medicare Today Is in Conflict with Our Social Values
- Drug Plan Checkup. Serafini, Marilyn Werber // National Journal;5/6/2006, Vol. 38 Issue 18, p48
The article deals with the reluctance of some low-income U.S. seniors to join Medicare's new Part D prescription drug benefit as of May 2006. Despite the claim by Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt that the benefit is closing in on its initial goals, a significant minority of...
- BY THE NUMBERS. // Modern Healthcare;5/18/2009, Vol. 39 Issue 20, p9
The article reports on a Commonwealth Fund study which found that elderly Medicare beneficiaries rated their insurance coverage higher than adults covered by employer-sponsored plans.
- Bitter Medicine. Feulner, Edwin J. // Business Journal (Central New York);4/22/2005, Vol. 19 Issue 16, p29
Comments on the initiative of Bush administration to add a prescription-drug benefit to Medicare in the U.S. Significance of the prescription-drug coverage for retired employees; Provisions of the new law; Effect of the new law on retirees' existing employer-based drug coverage.
- NACDS Rx discount card targets physicians. // Drug Topics;5/17/2004, Vol. 148 Issue 10, p14
Reports that the Pharmacy Care Alliance has partnered with the ePocrates to electronically inform physicians about its Medicare-approved prescription discount card backed by NACDS and Express Scripts.
- 'Welcome to Medicare physical' free. // Drug Topics;8/9/2004, Vol. 148 Issue 15, p6
This article reports that beginning January 1, 2005, Medicare will pay for an initial comprehensive physical examination for new beneficiaries. The 'Welcome to Medicare physical' will include influenza and hepatitis B vaccines, mammograms, Pap smears, pelvic examinations, and screening tests for...
- Dually Eligible Enrollees: 2002. Lied, Terry R. // Health Care Financing Review;Summer2006, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p137
Individuals eligible in both Medicaid and Medicare, the dually eligible enrollees, account for a disproportionate share of Medicaid utilization and payments. While comprising 14.7 percent of the Medicaid population, they accounted for 40.5 percent of Medicaid payments in 2002. Mean reimbursement...
- The Bush Administration's Framework for Medicare Reform. // OECD Economic Surveys: United States;Oct2002, p233
Outlines the framework of the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush for medicare reform as of 2002. Principles released in the intention of guiding the congressional development of an acceptable restructuring proposal about medical care in the nation.
- Seniors Need Help Cutting Through Rx Plan Confusion. // RN;Jan2006, Vol. 69 Issue 1, p18
This article reports that many seniors were uncertain about how the prescription drug benefit under Medicare Part D would affect them and whether they would enroll, according to a survey by as of January 2005. Asked how well they understood the drug benefit, 61% of the respondents said not too...
- Many seniors fear new Medicare law. Glenn, David J. // Westchester County Business Journal;3/15/2004, Vol. 43 Issue 11, p2
Reports on the concern expressed by the elderly and disabled constituents in county Legislator Bernice Spreckman's district covering parts of Mount Vernon and Yonkers in New York City, about how the proposed changes to the Medicare in 2004 will affect them. Criticisms that the law seems to be...