Correlates of Health Status Among Black and White Elderly
- Marital Status and Health: Exploring Pre-Widowhood. Williams, Beverly R.; Sawyer, Patricia; Roseman, Jeffrey M.; Allman, Ricahrd M. // Journal of Palliative Medicine;Jul/Aug2008, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p848
Background: Health and function vary by marital status across the life-course, but little is known about older adults approaching spousal loss (pre-widowed). Objective: To explore health and function by marital status focusing on the pre-widowed and to examine factors associated with shorter...
- Housing, the Neighborhood Environment, and Physical Activity among Older African Americans. Hannon III, Lonnie; Sawyer, Patricia; Allman, Richard M. // Journal of Health Disparities Research & Practice;Fall2012, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p27
This study examines the association of neighborhood environment, as measured by housing factors, with physical activity among older African Americans. Context is provided on the effects of structural inequality as an inhibitor of health enhancing neighborhood environments. The study population...
- Lower Extremity Function Trajectories in the African American Health Cohort. Wolinsky, Fredric D.; Ayyagari, Padmaja; Malmstrom, Theodore K.; Miller, J. Phillip; Andresen, Elena M.; Schootman, Mario; Miller, Douglas K. // Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences & Medical ;Aug2014, Vol. 69 Issue 8, p1004
Background. We addressed two understudied issues in estimating lower extremity functional trajectories in older adultsâ€”incorporating the effect of mortality and evaluating heterogeneity among African Americans. Methods. Data were taken from the 998 participants in the African American...
- ROVING CAMERA. Gilbert, James // New York Amsterdam News;03/22/2001, Vol. 92 Issue 12, p13
Focuses on several Afro-Americans' views about repairing some of the damage they have inflicted on their bodies. Ability of the body to heal itself; Benefits of maintaining weight loss.
- Do blacks need to protect themselves from the sun? // Jet;06/02/97, Vol. 92 Issue 2, p14
Questions whether Afro-Americans need protection from the sun during the summer months. Comments from Afro-American dermatologists, such as Dr. Rebat Halder; Several things Afro-Americans can do to protect their skin from the sun.
- HEALTH WATCH. // Essence (Essence);Dec2000, Vol. 31 Issue 8, p84
Provides information on the health of African-American people.
- Magazine unearths disturbing numbers on Black health. // New York Amsterdam News;01/03/98, Vol. 89 Issue 3, p16
Focuses on an article which appeared in the January/February issue of HealthQuest, which examines the similarities and differences between the health of Black and white Americans. Leading cause of death among the Black community; Statistics on HIV/AIDS; Contention that people with higher incomes...
- Race Disparities in Health among Older Adults: Examining the Role of Productive Engagement. Hinterlong, James E. // Health & Social Work;Nov2006, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p275
Productive engagement is a potential pathway to health for older adults, but this relationship varies by race. This study examines the relationship of productive engagement to the health and observed health disparities of older African American and white adults. Productive activities include...
- MY AGING MINORITY RURAL GRANDPARENTS: DISPARITIES IN THE HEALTH AND HEALTH CARE OF THE RURAL ELDERLY MINORITY POPULATION AND THE NEED FOR CULTURALLY COMPETENT HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS. DAVIDSON, CAMILLE M. // American University Journal of Gender, Social Policy & the Law;2013, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p57
No abstract available.