MBIA takes charge to boost loss reserves
- MBIA reorganizes public finance department, appoints new head credit officer. Sherman, Lynn // Bond Buyer;10/07/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30494, p3
Details the restructuring initiatives of MBIA Inc., an insurance firm operating in the United States. Appointment of Steven C. Citron as head credit officer for public finance; Reorganization of public finance department into two divisions; Integration of corporate financial obligations and...
- Industry analysts split over reserve adequacy. Sclafane, Susanne // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;12/16/96, Vol. 100 Issue 51, p1
Discusses the view that insurers are cultivating earnings growth by manipulating company loss reserves. Analysis of Frederick Hill, a research consultant of Firemark Group in New Jersey; Details on the Reserves from the Insurance Services Office (ISO).
- ALL PAIN NO GAIN. Banham, Russ // Treasury & Risk Management;Apr2003, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p17
Examines the performance and business prospects of U.S. insurance companies in 2003. Strong stock performance; Decision of American International Group to post a charge to boost its insurance loss reserves; Indicators for the property and casualty sector; Net investment income in 2002;...
- Producing a Winner. Rivera, Susan; Macdonald, James W. // Best's Review;Apr2003, Vol. 103 Issue 12, p52
Focuses on the commercial-lines soft markets of insurers and reinsurers in the U.S. Factors affecting financial stability of reinsurers; Creation of a commercial market value for new products; Impact of increasing loss reserves on the capital structure of insurance companies. INSET: Product...
- Despite Recent P/C Rate Increases, Conning Sees Need To Increase 'Inadequate' Reserves To Meet Rising Claim Costs. // Insurance Advocate;2/4/2002, Vol. 113 Issue 5, p30
Deals with a study which examined the need for insurers to improve their loss reserves to pay future claims.
- Re Recoverables: Climate of Uncertainty. Howard, Lisa S. // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;8/18/2003, Vol. 107 Issue 33, p37
Reports on the indications of the increasing importance of reinsurance recoverables in the U.S. Estimated amount of recoverables by insurers; Increase in gross reserves; Source on the reserves of insurers.
- Moody's Sees Drop In Capital Adequacy Despite RBC Increase. Bell, Allison // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;9/2/2002, Vol. 106 Issue 35, p49
Reports that insurance companies in the United States ended 2001 with less capital even though their official risk-based capital ratios rose. Findings from a study conducted by Moody's Investors Service Inc.; Result of dividing statutory capital by policyholder liabilities; Deterioration of...
- Strong Bounce-back for P&C Insurers in 2012. // Insurance Networking News;Nov/Dec2012, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p9
The article informs that catastrophe losses have improved the operating performance of the U.S. property and casualty industry in 2012.
- MBIA Sees $2.4 Billion 1st Q Loss. // National Mortgage News;5/19/2008, Vol. 32 Issue 33, p10
The article reports that mortgage-related bond insurer MBIA Inc. took a $2.4 billion net loss for the first quarter of 2008 in New York. It states that the reason for the net loss is due to the $3.6 billion unfulfilled mark-to-market pretax loss on insured derivatives. Jay Brown, chairman and...