News From Zoos
- All About...SEA TURTLES. // World Almanac for Kids;2002, p39
More than 3,000 dead or sick sea turtles were washed ashore from the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean in 2000. This was the biggest number in ten years-bad news considering that all six species of sea turtles in the United States are endangered or threatened. Experts don't know exactly...
- Habitat use by spinous loach ( Cobitis shikokuensis) in southwestern Japan: importance of subsurface interstices. Kawanishi, Ryota; Kudo, Yuta; Inoue, Mikio // Ecological Research;Jul2010, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p837
We examined habitat use by spinous loach ( Cobitis shikokuensis), an endangered benthic fish in Japan, in relation to distance to the stream bank, water depth, current velocity, substrate types and bed-subsurface conditions (fine-sediment volume, vertical hydraulic gradient). In the study reach...
- The wild, wild East. // Asian Pacific Post;9/27/2007, p4
The article presents information on the wild animals in India. The country is home to 411 species of mammals, 1,232 birds, 456 reptiles, 219 amphibians, 2,546 fishes, and thousands of invertebrates and plant species. The country becomes the last sanctuary for a number of highly endangered and...
- Tiger numbers plummet, but they can be saved. // New Scientist;11/10/2007, Vol. 196 Issue 2629, p4
The article discusses the plight of Asian tigers, an endangered species found primarily around northern India. It is thought that fewer than two thousand remain in the wild, largely due to habitat loss and poaching. Existing reserves are believed to be capable of supporting over six thousand...
- Apes' ray of hope. // New Scientist;1/17/2004, Vol. 181 Issue 2430, p5
This article focuses on great apes, an endangered species. A survey due for release later in January 2004 will show the mountain gorillas of Rwanda are on the road to recovery. The gorillas living in the Virunga National Park have increased their numbers to almost 700 from a low of 400,...
- Exploring India: land of a thousand contrasts. // Asian Pacific Post;11/22/2007, p11
The article describes the concentration of endangered wildlife in India. Information is presented on the highly endangered and threatened species that can be found in India, including the Asiatic lion, lion tailed macaque and the pygmy hog. The Himalayas and the Western Ghats, two of the world's...
- Critical Critters. // Newsweek;5/7/2012, Vol. 159 Issue 19, p12
The article presents five highly endangered animals as of 2012 including the tamaraw buffalo, the pygmy raccoon, and the African wild ass.
- Guess WHO? // WILD;Nov2001, Vol. 5 Issue 7, p37
Presents a photograph of an endangered lemur species from Madagascar.
- It's turtle time. Clark, Amy Rosenbaum // Vegetarian Times;Aug95, Issue 216, p92
Reports on the plans of Earth Island's Sea Turtle Restoration Project to do volunteer expeditions to the nesting beaches of endangered species of sea turtles. Route; Cost; Contact information.