Literacy and labeling
- For a broader approach to education. Mayor, Federico // UNESCO Courier;Jun98, Vol. 51 Issue 6, p40
Argues on the importance of literacy in the society. Local communities role in developing the content of literacy programs; Importance of multilingual education; Necessity of applying different approaches and methods to literacy education.
- Philippines: Literacy essential for women's development. // Women's International Network News;Spring91, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p63
Reprints an article from an issue of `Depthnews Women,' on the importance of literacy on the development of women in the Philippines. Functional literacy of Filipino women; Workshop convened by the United nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization's National Commission on how to...
- JetSend could lighten connection workload. Coffee, Peter // PC Week;07/28/97, Vol. 14 Issue 31, p44
Opinion. Discusses the difficulties in choosing and using cables in personal computer (PC) use. Details of the winning design in the Computer for the Year 2000 contest; Details of Hewlett-Packard's JetSend.
- A family affair. Merina, Anita // NEA Today;Apr95, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p4
Reports on the family literacy services for illiterate people in the United States. Prevention of functional illiteracy of children of undereducated Americans; Parent-child education program; Remedial and assistive reading courses.
- Illiteracy--the neglected enemy in public service. Anderson, Claire J.; Ricks, Betty Roper // Public Personnel Management;Spring93, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p137
Focuses on worker illiteracy in the local government in the United States. Existence of caste-like division of labor; Illiteracy defined; Extent of worker illiteracy; Employer reaction to worker illiteracy; Consequences of workplace illiteracy; Role of human resource managers; Coping with...
- A different set of literacy demands. Jury, Mark // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Feb99, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p364
Focuses on workplace literacy in Skagit County, located between Seattle, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia. Dilemma confronting Pat Nicholson, a resident of Skagit; Overview of the socioeconomic condition in the country; Background of the North Cascade Highway (Highway 20) project.
- The United States. Gordon, Kathryn // OECD Observer;Dec95/Jan96, Issue 197, p48
Examines the United States' strategies for developing and educating its workforce. Percentage literacy; Increase in campaign for adult education; Factors affecting workforce development including the population's geographical mobility.
- Workplace learning aids employees, firms. Graham, Sandy // Colorado Business Magazine;Aug97, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p10
Presents successes from Colorado's Workplace Learning program. Skills that can be learned by workers through the program; Skills that are usually missing from employees; Effects of illiteracy to the economy.
- Take two to eliminate three. Bimonte, Anthony // Professional Safety;Jan96, Vol. 41 Issue 1, p20
Discusses the importance of T-A-K-E (Talk, Actions, Knowledge, Equipment) checklist that reminds employees to think about hazards that lurk behind short cuts and rushed work practices. Importance of practicing safety; Causes of workplace injuries; Questions about workplace experiences.