Coming Out: Decision-Making in State and Federal Sodomy Cases
- Powell played big role in sodomy case. // Advocate;09/29/98, Issue 769, p18
Focuses on the role played by former Supreme Court Justice Lewis Powell in the case `Bowers v. Hardwick' upholding Georgia's sodomy law in 1986. Powell's admission in 1990 that he may have made a mistake in supporting the ruling.
- Back to the future. // Advocate;2/6/96, Issue 700, p16
Reports that Georgia attorney general Michael Bowers earned the enmity of gay activists due to his defense of his state's sodomy law in the case of `Bowers vs. Hardwick'.
- In the Bedroom. Graff, E. J. // American Prospect;Mar2003, Vol. 14 Issue 3, pA22
Reports on the homosexual law in Texas which prohibits same sex oral and anal sex. Information on the case of John Lawrence and Tyrone Garner; Background of the U.S. Supreme Court case Bowers versus Hardwick; Reaction of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force to the law; Brief history of laws...
- Court Overturns Bowers v. Hardwick. Pusey, Allen // ABA Journal;Jun2012, Vol. 98 Issue 6, p72
The article presents information on the U.S. Supreme Court decision on the court case of Bowers v. Hardwick based on homosexual conduct and sodomy.
- The Constitution and the Erotic Self. Bradley, Gerard V. // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Oct1991, Issue 16, p28
Discusses the constitutionality of the decision issued in the U.S. Supreme Court case Bowers versus Hardwick. Overview of the sodomy-related case; Reaction of the public on the court decision; Concerns regarding the outcome of the case.
- Michigan Suit Targets State's Sodomy Laws. Freiberg, Peter // Advocate;8/16/88, Issue 505, p16
Reports on the filing of a lawsuit challenging Michigan's sodomy laws. Alleged violations of the state's constitution; United States Supreme Court ruling in 'Bowers v. Hardwick'; Concerns about the effects of the laws on gay men and lesbian women.
- FOURTEENTH AMENDMENT--THE SUPREME COURT LIMITS THE RIGHT TO PRIVACY. Caplan, Gary S. // Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology;Fall1986, Vol. 77 Issue 3, p894
This article focuses on the U.S. Supreme Court's decision to limit the right of privacy under the fourteenth amendment of the constitution. Ever since the landmark decision of Criswold versus Connecticut case, the Supreme Court has consistently enlarged the privacy rights of individuals based...
- Anatomy of a gay rights decision. Agrast, Mark David // Human Rights;Spring91, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p14
This article focuses on gay rights decision in the U.S. as of March 1991. It is difficult to convey the profound sense of pain and rejection engendered by a decision so carelessly dismissive of our aspirations. Lewis Powell, one member of the majority, reflected in retirement that his...
- SURVIVING LAWRENCE v. TEXAS. Spindelman, Marc // Michigan Law Review;Jun2004, Vol. 102 Issue 7, p1615
Focuses on the U.S. Supreme Court case Lawrence v. Texas, which is about the dissolution of the anti-sodomy law. Facts of the case; Reaction of the lesbian and gay communities to the judgment on the case; Comparison of the case with Bowers v. Hardwick case.