- Lawyers argued to the very last. Semple, Jack // Motor Transport;3/17/2005, p3
Reports on the issues arising from the delayed enforcement of the Working Time Directive for truck drivers by Great Britain's Department for Transport. Reason behind the delay; Actions taken by labor unions on the issue; Scope of the directive.
- French Twist. Sager, Ryan H. // Reason;Mar99, Vol. 30 Issue 10, p12
Reports on how the French government is enforcing a 39-hour work week. How labor inspectors implement the law; Fine given to companies violating the law; Comments from Henry Thierry, executive at Thomson-CSF Communications; Objective of the law.
- UK Adopts New Working Time Regulations. // International Insurance Monitor;1999 1st Quarter, Vol. 52 Issue 1, p29
Discusses the two European Commission directives on working time regulations adopted by Britain in 1998. Goals of the directives; Exemptions for some occupations; Elements and features of the regulations.
- An amicable disagreement. Baker, Paddy // Works Management;May2002, Vol. 55 Issue 5, p5
Discusses the European Commission's decision to upheld the complaint of the Amicus trade union against the British government that the Working Time Regulation do not sufficiently implement the requirements of the European Working Time Directive. Employers' responsibility for ensuring breaks and...
- OVERTIME: DETERMINING AN EMPLOYEE'S REGULAR RATE. Pollack, Jeffrey D.; Colson, Robert H. // CPA Journal;Apr2001, Vol. 71 Issue 4, p50
Explains the determination of an employee's regular rate for overtime based on the Fair Labor Standards Act of the United States. Requirement of the fair labor rule; Definition of regular rates under the fair labor rule; Details on the determination of overtime pay for nonexempt salaried...
- in brief. // Employers Law;Feb2003, p4
Presents updates on employment law in Great Britain as of February 2003. Views of the British Department of Trade and Industry on a bill to reduce excessive pay-offs for directors of under-performing companies; Regulation of the working hours of young workers; Increase in the employment...
- LEGAL CHECKLIST. // People Management;4/13/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 8, p23
Presents legal issues concerning employment in Great Britain as of April 2000. Incorporation of pregnancy and maternity suspension provisions into the Employment Relations Act 1999; Rules governing hours of work.
- China says, `Take Saturdays off!'. Laabs, Jennifer J. // Personnel Journal;Jun95, Vol. 74 Issue 6, p12
Reports on China's government policy mandating Saturdays as no-work days. Overtime pay for workers working on Saturdays; Laborers' enjoyment of leisure activities.
- Indecent proposals. Czerny, Anna // People Management;9/30/2004, Vol. 10 Issue 19, p13
Focuses on the controversy over proposals from the European Commission to restrict the use of the working time opt-out as of September 30, 2004. Reaction of British labor unions to the proposals; Details of the Commission's proposals; Comment from Patricia Hewitt, British secretary of state for...