Catholics, Protestants, and Contraception
- Our Popeye moment. LOCKWOOD, ROBERT P. // Our Sunday Visitor;10/9/2011, Vol. 100 Issue 24, p17
This article explains the need of Catholics to fight against the contraception mandate.
- `Humanae vitae': What has it done to us? Untener, Kenneth // Commonweal;6/18/93, Vol. 120 Issue 12, p12
Presents the author's reflections on the pastoral consequences of the encyclical `Humanae vitae' as bishop of the diocese of Saginaw, Michigan. Church's ban on the use of artificial birth control; Public perception; Damage to the credibility of the church; Shift of the issue from morality to...
- Catholics for free choice. Nixon, Will // E: The Environmental Magazine;Jan/Feb94, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p47
Presents different controversies on the Catholic side for contraception and abortion. How the Pope, church hierarchy and many American Catholics view contraceptions; Findings of the opinion polls on the rate of abortion in Catholics compared to Protestants and Jews; Reports of the Catholics...
- Looking back at a troubled period in the Church. Norton, John // Our Sunday Visitor;7/27/2008, Vol. 97 Issue 13, p2
The author discusses the Catholic Church' reaction on the use of contraception. He states that many Catholics could not accept Pope Paul VI' encyclical "Humanae Vitae" which is about marital love and regulating births. He explains that Catholics thought that the Pope's deliberations would result...
- CONTRACEPTION AND PRESCRIPTIVE INFALLIBILITY. Hallett, Garth L. // Theological Studies;Dec82, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p629
Elaborates on the Catholic Church's position against contraception. Theological history of contraception; Basic similarity between moral assertions and basic invariance in the meanings of moral terms; Background on the Church's moral tradition.
- CONTRACEPTING EVANGELICALS. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Feb1992, Issue 20, p65
Presents information on the symposium "Is Birth Control Christian?," organized by editors of the evangelical magazine "Christianity Today" in 1992. Views of Roman Catholics and Protestants on contraception; Ratio of the journal's married readers who have used contraception; Effects of...
- NCC and Birth Control. // America;3/11/1961, Vol. 104 Issue 23, p750
The author reflects on the statement issued by the National Council of Churches (NCC) that endorses contraceptive method in the U.S. It argues that the endorsement is not only a question between the integrity and morality of marriage, but also a conflict between the Catholic and Protestant's...
- Contraception, Again. Kaveny, Cathleen // Commonweal;12/15/2006, Vol. 133 Issue 22, p6
The article focuses on religious issues related to contraception. The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops issued a statement entitled, Married Love and the Gift of Life, reaffirming the church's teaching that contraception violates God's plan for married love. Catholics believe that the basic...
- Brazilian cardinals at odds over condoms. // National Catholic Reporter;6/2/95, Vol. 31 Issue 31, p12
Reports that Cardinals Paulo Evaristo Arns and Lucas Moreira Neves are at odds over the use of condoms by Catholics.