TRAINING NEEDS & MEDIA
- ACQUIRED STRUCTURE TRAINING. Mumedy, Shaun // UFRA Straight Tip;Jul2013, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p24
The article focuses on the effort of the Salt Lake City Fire Department (SLCFD) in Utah in acquiring a structure that can provide live fire training. It notes that the real life structure trainings provided at the SLCFD promote team building among the many different agencies that participate....
- Changing the Culture of Safety in the Fire Service. SIARNICKI, RONALD J.; GIST, RICHARD // Fire Engineering;Nov2010, Vol. 163 Issue 11, following p78
The article presents a continuing education course on the application of a safety culture in the fire service. The objectives of the course include a discussion about behavior and attitude, identification of the components in the theory of planned behavior and the creation of cultural change,...
- Nine questions you should ask RESPONSE TO VIOLENT INCIDENTS: HFLPING KEEP FIREFIGHTERS OUT OF HARM'S WAY. Oates, John H. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Mar/Apr2013, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p42
The article provides information on how fire departments respond to a violent incident. It mentions that the balance of limited possible benefit in light of substantial risk need to be foremost in the mind of every responder. It states that familiarity of roles and personnel before an incident...
- Put it out - or knock them out. Farmer, Tim // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2014, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p43
The article offers the author's views on the importance of the job fire prevention personnel perform to the safety and survival of the residents and fire fighters. He emphasizes the need to train personnel on the built-in protection as well as to educate building residents on how to react in a...
- Fire prevention is not just for October. West, Bruce // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2015, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p39
The article offers the author's views about maintaining fire-education connection of firefighters with the community throughout the year, not just for October or during the celebration of the "Fire Prevention Month." He emphasizes the responsibility of firefighters as community servants and...
- Simulator Goes to Head of Class. // Fire Chief;Dec2003, Vol. 47 Issue 12, p14
Reports on the plan of the U.S.-based National Institute of Standards and Technology to develop a virtual reality fire stimulation that will enable fire professionals to demonstrate how life-threatening conditions can develop in structures. Aim to retool the fire modeling software Fire Dynamic...
- New York Undercover. Kracauer, Cynthia // Fire Chief;May2004, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p58
Focuses on Fire Department of New York's (FDNY) Fire Academy facilities in Randalls' Island. Training of firefighters; Models used to create realistic fire scenarios; Training programs of the fire academy; Partnership between FDNY and Swanke Hayden Connell Architects.
- SCBA Confidence Course. Clark, Allen // Fire Engineering;Jan1995, Vol. 148 Issue 1, p112
Focuses on the SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus) Confidence Course offered by fire departments for retraining of its firefighters in the United States. Course features; Facility planning; Training methods; Training evolutions.
- Untitled. Puckett, Gary // Ellis County Press;5/19/2011, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p1
The article offers information on the Control Training conducted by the Red Oak Fire Department (ROFD) of Red Oak, Texas at 408 South Highway 35E Service Road on May 13, 2011.