Cracking Down in L.A
- Rate hikes in the works. McAdams // Broadcasting & Cable;11/29/99, Vol. 129 Issue 49, p7
Reports the increase of cable charges by cable multiple-systems operators in the United States. Views of cable operators on rate hike; Comparison on the rate hike between Cablevision and Time Warner Cable; Factors contributing to the rate adjustment.
- Cable Takes Modem Fee Fight to FCC. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;1/6/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p10
Reports that in the U.S., a cable industry group has complained to the Federal Communications Commission about the nature of legal moves by cities over the payment of cable-modem fees. Reason why cable operators stopped collecting franchise fees for cable-modem revenue; Representatives of the...
- More MSOs Dropping Modem Fees. Haugsted, Linda; Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;4/1/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 13, p2
Reports the decision to conclude collection of cable-modem franchise fees in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Influence of a Federal Communications Commission ruling; Identification of operators dropping fees; Provision of refunds to customers.
- Cablevision can score without Yanks. Gandel, Stephen // Crain's New York Business;4/29/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 17, p26
Reports on the performance of cable television operator, Cablevision Systems Corp. in New York City. Failure to gain the exclusive rights to the baseball games; Private market value of the cable network; Profits on a sale of assets.
- CABLE TV. Higgins, John // Broadcasting & Cable;10/23/2000, Vol. 130 Issue 44, p48
Assesses the financial performance of cable operators in the United States for the year 2000. Effect of industrial problems on the operators; Decline in stock value; Availability of the debt markets for the companies.
- Fox: Ratings just the start. Fine, Jon // Crain's New York Business;1/20/2003, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p4
Reports on the comparison between the performance of cable television networks Fox News Channel and Cable News Network (CNN) in the United States. Views of chief executive officer (CEO) of Fox News Channel Roger Ailes about the performance of former CEO of CNN Walter Isaacson; Statistics on the...
- Mediaweeker Takes a Dive in MTV Talent Pool. Torpey-Kemph, Anne; Larson, Megan // MediaWeek;04/19/99, Vol. 9 Issue 16, p40
Recalls the author's experience while covering the auditions conducted by Music Television for video jocks in Los Angeles, California. Estimated number of auditionees; How the auditioning was conducted; Compensations given to the winners.
- The Franchise Dilemma. Emmens, Carol A. // School Library Journal;Oct84, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p117
Elaborates on the problem concerning franchise fees collected from cable companies by cities in the U.S. Provision of access funds; Legislation that would regulate several aspects of cable television.
- NUE-TV's Painful Waiting Game. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;7/9/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 28, p2
Reports on the moves undertaken by New Urban Entertainment-Television in continuing major financial investment in the United States. Termination of employees in the production and administration department; Determination to pursue business operations; Negotiations with AOL Time Warner Inc. for...