Redstone Feels Holders' Pain
- Redstone eager to sell cable assets. K.M. // Broadcasting & Cable;10/24/94, Vol. 124 Issue 43, p43
Reports on Viacom-Paramount Chairman Sumner Redstone's efforts to sell his cable TV operations. Industry rate regulations and competition as reasons given; Prediction that telephone companies will enter the cable business with ease.
- For Redstone, time again to grow. Mermigas, Diane // Electronic Media;04/26/99, Vol. 18 Issue 17, p1
Focuses on developments related to entertainment company Viacom as of April 26, 1999. Company chairman and chief executive officer Sumner Redstone's plans for the company; Development and acquisition of new cable channels; Financial performance of Blockbuster Entertainment unit; Merger and...
- Invasion of the Viacom people. Higgins, John M. // Broadcasting & Cable;04/12/99, Vol. 129 Issue 15, p11
Reports on Viacom Inc. Chairman Sumner Redstone's plan to create his own cable networks after losing his stake in USA Network's Sci-Fi Channel. Viacom's plan to create a general network aimed at adults 50-plus and a science-fiction network in the United States; Competition facing the...
- Late Breaking News. // Cable World (10427228);4/15/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 15, p5
Presents news on the cable television business as of April 15, 2002. Information on the free video-on-demand package Wisdom Television is offering to new affiliates; Increase in the salaries received by Sumner Redstone and Mel Karmazin at Viacom; Venture capital funding closed by Syndeo Corp.,...
- BREAK UP TO MAKE UP. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;3/21/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p1
Reports on the decision of cable operator Viacom to split its unit into two. Position to be held by chairman Sumner Redstone after the spin off; Benefits of the spin off for the company; Effect of the spin off on shareholders.
- Redstone Doesn't Fret Over Powerful MSOs. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;04/17/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 16, p3
Reports on Viacom Inc. chairman Sumner Redstone's statement that he no longer fears multiservice operator (MSO) consolidation as a barrier to distributing cable networks over cable systems. Basic cable television networks owned by Viacom; Merger negotiations with CBS Corp.; Keynote address...
- THE LION IN SUMNER. Kadlec, Daniel; Fonda, Daren; McDowell, Jeannie; Philadelphia, Desa; Steptoe, Sonja // Time International (South Pacific Edition);6/14/2004, Issue 23, p62
The article focuses on the relationship between Summer Redstone, chairman and CEO of the broadcasting network, Viacom Inc. and Viacom president Mel Karmazin. It discusses the move Redstone made to launch Logo, a gay channel on MTV networks which Karmazin had delayed. The competitive spirit that...
- The deal that wasn't. Bart, Peter // Variety;10/28/96, Vol. 364 Issue 13, p6
Presents an open letter to Sumner Redstone, chief executive officer of Viacom Inc. Focus on Viacom's settlement with Seagram Co. regarding the USA Network dispute; Deal's demise.
- Programmer Initials for $100, Alex. Haugsted, Linda; Ellis, Leslie; Umstead, R. Thomas; Forkan, Jim; Moss, Linda // Multichannel News;6/2/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 22, p10
Presents news briefs related to cable network broadcasting companies of the U.S. as of June 2, 2003. Features of the skit prepared by the staff members of Time Warner Cable Inc. for a group meeting of the company in Charlotte, North Carolina; Brief information of the programs to be telecasted...