Redstone Feels Holders' Pain
- Redstone eager to sell cable assets. K.M. // Broadcasting & Cable;10/24/94, Vol. 124 Issue 43, p43
Reports on Viacom-Paramount Chairman Sumner Redstone's efforts to sell his cable TV operations. Industry rate regulations and competition as reasons given; Prediction that telephone companies will enter the cable business with ease.
- For Redstone, time again to grow. Mermigas, Diane // Electronic Media;04/26/99, Vol. 18 Issue 17, p1
Focuses on developments related to entertainment company Viacom as of April 26, 1999. Company chairman and chief executive officer Sumner Redstone's plans for the company; Development and acquisition of new cable channels; Financial performance of Blockbuster Entertainment unit; Merger and...
- Invasion of the Viacom people. Higgins, John M. // Broadcasting & Cable;04/12/99, Vol. 129 Issue 15, p11
Reports on Viacom Inc. Chairman Sumner Redstone's plan to create his own cable networks after losing his stake in USA Network's Sci-Fi Channel. Viacom's plan to create a general network aimed at adults 50-plus and a science-fiction network in the United States; Competition facing the...
- Late Breaking News. // Cable World (10427228);4/15/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 15, p5
Presents news on the cable television business as of April 15, 2002. Information on the free video-on-demand package Wisdom Television is offering to new affiliates; Increase in the salaries received by Sumner Redstone and Mel Karmazin at Viacom; Venture capital funding closed by Syndeo Corp.,...
- BREAK UP TO MAKE UP. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;3/21/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p1
Reports on the decision of cable operator Viacom to split its unit into two. Position to be held by chairman Sumner Redstone after the spin off; Benefits of the spin off for the company; Effect of the spin off on shareholders.
- Redstone Doesn't Fret Over Powerful MSOs. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;04/17/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 16, p3
Reports on Viacom Inc. chairman Sumner Redstone's statement that he no longer fears multiservice operator (MSO) consolidation as a barrier to distributing cable networks over cable systems. Basic cable television networks owned by Viacom; Merger negotiations with CBS Corp.; Keynote address...
- A new channel for Viacom? // Electronic Media;04/12/99, Vol. 18 Issue 15, p59
Reports on the plan of Viacom Inc.'s chairman Sumner Redstone to launch its own science-fiction network in the fall of 2001 when a noncompete agreement with USA Networks expires.
- MTV in play with game division. Szalai, Georg // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;6/28/2005, Vol. 389 Issue 40, p5
This article reports that Viacom Inc. has launched a new division, called MTV Games, which will work as an in-house interactive entertainment studio and a partner to outside game makers to develop product for the cable television network Music Television audience. MTV Games also will serve as a...
- Redstone ready to pass torch. Bennett, Ray; Williams, Chad // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;8/9/2005, Vol. 390 Issue 20, p47
This article reports that Viacom Inc. chairman and CEO Sumner Redstone made it official on Thursday, saying that he will give up his CEO title once his company splits into two, leaving current co-presidents Tom Freston and Leslie Moonves in charge as CEOs of what will be known as Viacom and CBS...