Lawmakers offer $300 million brownfield cleanup bill
- Grant expands brownfield redevelopment program. Fessenden, Jim // Inside Tucson Business;11/23/98, Vol. 8 Issue 35, p1
Reports on the addition of a $200,000 grant from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to expand the scope of Tucson, Arizona's Brownfields Pilot Project. Definition of brownfields by the EPA; Highlights of the brownfield redevelopment program; Status of the project as of November 1998;...
- Precedents pave way to brownfield development. Hadley, Mark // Business Journal Serving Southern Tier, CNY, Mohawk Valley, Fing;11/24/97, Vol. 11 Issue 24, p10
Observes the more cooperative approach from both state and federal officials in the commercial or industrial development of brownfield sites the United States. Precedents for brownfield redevelopment; Lack of softening in the standard; Deals that agencies and developers or owners can adopt that...
- State is tops in reworking brownfields. Czurak, David // Grand Rapids Business Journal;01/04/99, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p13
Reports on Michigan's success in redeveloping brownfields, abandoned or underutilized land due to the threat of toxic contamination. Results of the study conducted by the Consumers Renaissance Development Corp.; Analysis of liability protection, cleanup standards, financial incentives and...
- States stake out turf. Roe, Andrew; Angelo, William J. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;04/28/97, Vol. 238 Issue 17, p36
Focuses on efforts to cleanup brownfields with hazardous wastes in the United States. Voluntary program in some 30 states; Success in Crosby Lake Business Park in Minnesota; Petroleum contaminated soil; Transformation of an industrial site into a housing development in Texas.
- Detroit to clean up former Uniroyal site. Smith, Jennette // Crain's Detroit Business;04/02/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 14, p47
Reports that Detroit, Michigan is preparing the former Uniroyal site for redevelopment. Requests for proposals issued in 2000 to clean up the site; Focused feasibility study that would determine how to prepare the site; City's acquisition of information about contamination on the land;...
- Michigan mapping state-owned sites for cleanup. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;02/15/99, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p44
Details proposed spending on state cleanup sites in Michigan for 1999. Approval of the `Clean Michigan' environmental bond in 1998; Designated brownfield sites; Amount spent on the state-site cleanup program since its inception in 1996; Cleanup of contaminated soil at the Detroit Artillery...
- Localities test tax breaks to deal with polluted plots. Arrandale, Tom // Governing;Jan97, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p41
Reports on the order made by the New York State Court of Appeals regarding cuts in the assessed value of a federal Superfund site. Drawbacks of adjusting tax assessments to reflect that a site has little or no market value; Proposal of tax breaks for redevelopment of urban brownfields.
- Brownfield Development: Cleanup of Urban Areas. Johnson, Daniel E. // San Diego Business Journal;05/15/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 20, p23
Focuses on the cleanup of brownfields in urban areas in the United States. Description of some brownfield cleanup initiatives and tools; Risk-based corrective action; Grants and loan applications available to assist property owners and cities with remediation or removal of contamination.
- Beyond brownfields. // Government Executive;Jul97, Vol. 29 Issue 7, p10
Reports on the development of phytoremediation methods for brown fields in the United States. Description of phytoremediation; Possibility of re-mining metals using the method.