Groups seek to save block grant program
- Welfare reform and nutrition programs: Contemporary... Kennedy, Eileen; Morris, Patricia McGrat // Journal of Nutrition Education;Mar/Apr96, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p67
Focuses on the impact of the option block grant proposals being considered by United States Congress and the Administration on federal nutrition programs and the alternatives for reform that address the programs' problems. Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC);...
- Rift over Medicaid block grants likely. Aston, Geri // AHA News;7/3/95, Vol. 31 Issue 27, p3
Reports on the possibilities of creating a rift among states over Medicaid funding if lawmakers adopt block grants in the United States. Pitting of states with high population growth against those with low population growth; Impact on states with reduced Medicaid spending.
- Lawmakers seek block-grant converts. Kostreski, Farah; Aston, Geri // AHA News;7/17/95, Vol. 31 Issue 29, p3
Reports on US lawmakers' move to convert Medicaid block grants into a pragmatic policy. Advantages of the block grant including the increased state flexibility; Per-capita limits to allow for changes in enrollment; Opponents of the block-grant proposal.
- PUBLIC NOTICE , CITY OF RULE TEXAS COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT PROGRAM. // Twin Cities News (Munday, TX);6/12/2008, Vol. 26 Issue 24, p3
The article announces that the City of Rule will hold a public hearing regarding the application of a Texas Community Development Block Grant Program (TxCDBG) at the Office of Rural Community Affairs on June 19, 2008 at City Hall, 701 Union Avenue, Rule, Texas.
- By any other name? Robelen, Erik W. // Education Week;04/19/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 32, p35
Reports that the national education groups are opposing a Republican legislative bill in the United States Congress that would convert federal aid into block grants. Overview of the bill; School programs that are eligible under the bill.
- Child-protection block grant imperils troubled families, critics say. Cohen, Deborah L. // Education Week;3/8/95, Vol. 14 Issue 24, p15
Reports on the replacement of child-welfare programs in the United States with block grants. Approval of the welfare-reform bill by the House subcommittee; Replacement of child-welfare programs with a block grant; Opposition of Congressional Democrats and child advocates against the bill;...
- Welfare worries. Kuttner, Robert // Indianapolis Business Journal;4/17/95, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p1B
Criticizes the welfare reform program approved by the Republican House in 1995. Argument against block grants proposed by the Republicans.
- State and Local Officials Disagree About Chapter 2. // Phi Delta Kappan;Jan85, Vol. 66 Issue 5, p382
Focuses on a report from the U.S. General Accounting Office (GAO), which shows the views of local and state officials about Chapter 2 of the Education Consolidation and Improvement Act of 1981; Legislation's merger of a number of federal programs; Shifting of primary administrative...
- Congressional accounting now favors big spenders. Stansel, Dean // Human Events;6/2/95, Vol. 51 Issue 21, p9
Reports on US House Republicans' proposal to replace federal spending on the school lunch and breakfast programs with block grants to states and limit the rate of growth of those grants. Increased spending called for by the school lunch reform proposal; Findings of a study by the Institute for...