Cable's Brewing Up a Simulcast Storm
- Conquering the Digital Wave. Hess, Mark; Kuharsky, Sergei // Multichannel News;3/1/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 9, p49
Reports on the preparedness of the U.S. cable television industry in competing to meet customer needs with new digital products as of March 2004. Demand for consumer sophistication; Challenges for the industry; Recommendations for successful competition.
- I Want My MTV (but no HDTV, thanks). // Design News;9/13/2004, Vol. 60 Issue 12, p11
This article focuses on DTV tuners that can receive digital signals. The American government has come up with a plan to ensure that along with the other 15 percent of TV owners who are "cable holdouts"-are able to receive high-quality, over-the-air digital broadcasts. Under the FCC rule, all TVs...
- Cable Should Pay for DTV Signal. Ostroff, Nat // Broadcasting & Cable;1/19/2004, Vol. 134 Issue 3, p49
Comments on the need of cable operators to pay for DTV signal in the U.S. Reception of TV signals; Reason for the willingness of broadcasters to use services without due compensation; Criticism on cable's use of DTV product.
- Research. // CableFAX Daily;2/1/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 21, p2
The article reports on a study on the interest of cable subscribers to VOD in the U.S. in 2006. It cites the market penetration of digital cable television. A correlation between cable customer satisfaction and VOD is revealed.
- A Network for the People. Chunovic, Louis // Television Week;7/7/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 27, p10
Offers information on the American Channel, a proposed digital cable network that will tell true stories about the U.S. and its citizens. Scheduled launch of the American Channel; Background of several proposed television series that will be aired on the American Channel; Target demographics of...
- Upgrade pays off. // Variety;9/9/2002, Vol. 388 Issue 4, p21
Reports on the increase in the number of digital-cable television subscribers in the U.S. in the second quarter of 2002. Number of subscribers.
- Smaller Nets Face Hurdles. Whitney, Daisy // Television Week;4/3/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 14, p20
The article reports that the challenges faced by digital TV network Trio and gay-and-lesbian-themed cable channel Q Television Network illustrate the difficulties of smaller emerging cable TV networks in the U.S. as of April 2006. Earlier this year, NBC Universal pulled struggling digital...
- QUICK TAKES. Broad, Julie // Electronic Media;7/16/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 29, p8
Presents the remarks by three executives on broadcasters' digital-only-must-carry proposal to cable operators in the United States. Relations between broadcasters and cable operators; Digital transition of cable operators.
- They're must-carried away. // Electronic Media;11/16/98, Vol. 17 Issue 47, p12
Editorial. Comments on the digital must-carry provision being suggested by the Gore Commission in order to make broadcasters `pay' for free digital spectrum. Public service requirements for broadcasters; Perception that the cable industry, not broadcasters will foot the bill; Tying public...