- Retail M&A Should Bypass Specialty Chains. Sikora, Martin // Mergers & Acquisitions: The Dealermaker's Journal;Jan2005, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p32
Focuses on mergers and acquisitions (m&a) of specialty stores in the U.S. Comparison between department stores and smaller chains; Suggestions for specialty stores; Comparison of m&a between corporations and specialty retailers; Outlook for private equity firms.
- Lessons of '80s to make retailers leaner in the '90s. // Marketing News;5/22/89, Vol. 23 Issue 11, p37
This article discusses the changes in retail trade from the 1980s to the 1990s. Rawle Deland, a partner at Thorndike Deland Associates, said retailers will become leaner and more tightly controlled companies equipped to respond quickly to customer and market changes in the 1990s. Deland predicts...
- Selfridge's reported to be object of several attempts at takeover. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;8/18/1998, Vol. 176 Issue 34, p3
Reports that London, England-based department store Selfridge's is in the middle of a takeover battle. Sales performance of Selfridge's in 1997; Companies involved in the takeover battle.
- The Future of the Department Store. Johnson, Ben // Shopping Center World;Aug2002, Vol. 31 Issue 8, p16
Reports on the challenges faced by department store businesses in the U.S.. Decline in sales in May 2002; List of department stores that have closed; Strategies used by department stores to adapt with competition; Projection on consolidation in the industry. INSET: Life Beyond The Mall.
- Profits Plummet at May Stores. Hogsett, Don // Home Textiles Today;2/14/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 23, p16
The article reports that May Department Stores Co.'s, which was hurt by a punishing trifecta of weakening same-store sales, eroding margins and higher costs, and further nicked by store closing costs, fourth quarter profits tumbled 16.8 percent, falling to $626 million from $752 million last...
- Poll Reveals Worry After Federated's May Co. Acquisition. Owens, Jennifer; Zmuda, Natalie // FN: Footwear News;3/7/2005, Vol. 61 Issue 10, p1
Reports on the results of an online poll on the expected impact of Federal Department Stores' deal to buy May Co. in equity and debt on the retail industry, conducted by the periodical "Footwear News" in March 2005. Opportunity offered by the deal to independent retail store owners; Effect of...
- Merger Mojo. Moin, David // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;12/6/2005, Vol. 190 Issue 119, Special Section p2
The article focuses on merger deals in the U.S. retail industry. Controversy surrounding Marshall Field's, which is being converted to Macy's. A dramatic development was the rise in interest in retailers among private equity firms, such as Texas Pacific, Warburg Pincus, Cerberus, Apollo and...
- In Sight. Freifeld, Lorri // License!;Jan2005, Vol. 7 Issue 12, p41
The article informs that with an eye toward brand extension, Bushnell Performance Optics licensed Boston Harbour LLC to develop a collection of Bushnell outerwear. Launching at MAGIC Marketplace in February and available at retail fall 2005, the collection will target outdoor specialty stores,...
- Left Behind: Galyan's New Headquarters. // Chain Store Age;Aug2004, Vol. 80 Issue 8, p34
Reports on the plan of sports accessories retailer Galyan to relocate its business to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 2004. Company that acquired Galyan; Agreement between Galyan and city officials in Plainfield, Indiana regarding the company's corporate office in the city.