Detroit Mayor gets control of schools; will appoint board
- Detroit district stumps for $1.5 billion bond issue. Schmidt, Peter // Education Week;10/26/94, Vol. 14 Issue 8, p6
Reports on the plans of Detroit, Michigan's school district to use the billion bond issue for its school renovation and construction projects. Reason for the withheld support for the bond issue by the Detroit Federation of Teachers, Detroit Chamber of Commerce and Mayor Dennis Archer; Insight...
- S&P gives Detroit public schools rating boost to investment grade. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;02/04/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30572, p31
Focuses on Standard & Poor's Corp.'s decision to give the Detroit Public School a BBB-plus rating. Implications for the school district's claims of a financial recovery; School district's opposition against Michigan Governor John Engler's effort to turn over control of the school system to...
- Of the mayor, mudslinging and Olympian excuses. // Corporate Detroit;Sep96, Vol. 14 Issue 9, p8
Focuses on Detroit, Michigan mayor Dennis Archer. Claim by Archer's election challengers that their message was drowned out by the 1996 Olympics.
- Biz antes up for Archer. Goodin, Michael // Crain's Detroit Business;1/10/94, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p2
Reports on the contributions of Metro Detroit corporations to help defray expenses for Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer's inaugural celebration. Amount of contributions of the companies; Archer's plan to donate proceeds of the inauguration to charity.
- New mayor of Motown. Jones, Lisa C. // Ebony;Jun1995, Vol. 50 Issue 8, p68
Profiles Dennis Archer, mayor of Detroit, Michigan. Coleman A. Young's achievement during his tenure as Detroit's past mayor; Projects initiated by Archer; Archer's total-quality approach to management; Industrial support to Archer's urban empowerment zone project; Family background;...
- Once a lawyer... // Crain's Detroit Business;07/28/97, Vol. 13 Issue 30, p39
Focuses on Dennis Archer, Mayor of Detroit, Michigan. Archer's career as a lawyer; Awards won by Archer.
- When all the dealing was done, 3 players held the casino cards. Ankeny, Robert // Crain's Detroit Business;12/22/97, Vol. 13 Issue 51, p1
Reports that mayor, Dennis Archer had hoped to narrow the field of franchise hopefuls to three winners by November 20th, 1997. Detailed information on Archer's decision; Names of the companies which were the selected winners; Reference to the Michigan Gaming Control Board
- Archer: Apple polisher? Goodin, Michael // Crain's Detroit Business;12/13/93, Vol. 9 Issue 50, p2
Reports on the meeting between Mayor-elect Dennis Archer and 30 public relations agencies for the image rebuilding program of the city.
- Future of Belle Isle a bargain at $3 a car. // Crain's Detroit Business;4/29/96, Vol. 12 Issue 18, p6
Opinion. Offers a look at Belle Isle, a park which Detorit Mayor Dennis Archer will be restoring its former glory through a $3 per-vehicle fee. Opposition from Detroit City Counil members; Background information on the park.