Eosinophilia, Fever, Hepatosplenomegaly and Wheezing
- Toxocariasis and eosinophilic meningitis. Gould, I.M.; Newell, S.; Green, S.H.; George, R.H. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);11/2/1985, Vol. 291 Issue 6504, p1239
Presents a case study of a patient with toxocariasis and eosinophilic meningitis in Great Britain. Identification of toxocariasis as a visceral migrans in children with pica; Prevalence of eye lesions among older children and adults; Treatments of the disease.
- Visceral Larva Migrans (Larval Granulomatosis) Report of a Case and Review of the Literature. Lewis, Paul L.; Yadav, Vasant G.; Kern, Jay A. // Clinical Pediatrics;Oct1962, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p19
â€˜Visceral larva migransâ€™ is a syndrome seen in pre-school children with a history of pica, and usually consists of pulmonary infiltrations, eosinophilia, leukocytosis, hyperglobulinemia, and hepatosplenomegaly. There may be respiratory, myocardial, ocular or central nervous system...
- THE USE OF DUAL RECOMBINANT ANTIGENS FOR IMPROVED SENSITIVITY IN DIAGNOSIS OF HUMAN TOXOCARIASIS. M., Suharni; A., Norhaida; At, Liza Sharmini; N., Rahmah // Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences;Jan2007 Supplement, Vol. 14, p42
Introduction: Current laboratory diagnosis for toxocariasis relies heavily on TES (toxocara excretory-secretory)-based serological tests. Since TES production is limited due to the capacity of parasite culture, the use of recombinant antigens which can be produced in unlimited amounts, offers a...
- Thiabendazole Treatment of Presumptive Visceral Larva Migrans (VLM). Perrin, Jean; Boxerbaum, Bernard; Doershuk, Carl F. // Clinical Pediatrics;Feb1975, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p147
Describes the authors' experiences with two children who had eosinophilia and persistent pneumonitis and the presumptive diagnosis of visceral larva migrans (VLM) and were treated with thiabendazole. Physical and x-ray evidence of otitis media and pneumonia; Development of thiabendazole from...
- The Helminthic Eosinophilic Meningitides: Emerging Zoonotic Parasitic Diseases Worldwide. Diaz, James H. // Tropical Medicine & Health;Dec2010, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p115
The helminthic infections that can cause eosinophilic meningitis (EM) share many of the characteristics of emerging infectious diseases, such as the influences of international trade and travel on pathogen dissemination in a warming ecosystem. In order to assess the evolving epidemiology of EM...
- Fever, Muscular Aches, and Gastrointestinal Symptoms. Ziai, Mohsen // Clinical Pediatrics;Nov1975, Vol. 14 Issue 11, p1070
This article cites a case-study of trichinosis with symptoms of fever and muscular aches in a nine-year-old girl. The girl was hospitalized because of fever and pain in the extremities. She had been well until about one month prior to admission, when she developed recurrent skin eruptions...
- Bladder and Liver Involvement of Visceral Larva Migrans May Mimic Malignancy. Eun Joo Kang; Yoon Ji Choi; Jung Sun Kim; Byung Hyun Lee; Ka-Won Kang; Hong Jun Kim; Eun Sang Yu; Yeul Hong Kim // Cancer Research & Treatment;2014, Vol. 46 Issue 4, p419
Visceral larva migrans (VLM) syndrome is a clinical manifestation of systemic organ involvement by Toxocara species. VLM with involvement of the bladder and liver is a rare finding. A 62-year-old woman presented with diffuse bladder wall thickening and multiple liver masses with peripheral...
- Epiluminescence Microscopy in Cutaneous Larva Migrans. Veraldi, S.; Schianchi, R.; Carrera, C. // Acta Dermato-Venereologica;May2000, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p233
Evaluates the usefulness of epiluminescence microscopy (EM) in the diagnosis of cutaneous larvae migrans (CLM). Conduction of EM in all lesions of the patients; Characterization of CLM by multiple tracks in patients; Pros and cons of EM.
- Toxocara canis and human health. Kerr-Muir, M.G. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);7/2/94, Vol. 309 Issue 6946, p5
Examines the effects of Toxocara canis on human health in Great Britain. Characteristics of Toxocaral visceral larva migrans; Description of ocular larva migrans; Relation of toxocariasis to larval load.