Finer Points of Specifying Cooling Towers
- Pumped up. // Computer-Aided Engineering;Feb2001, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p12
Offers a look at an industrial cooling tower pump from ITT Industries Fluid Technology Industrial Products Group Goulds Pumps Vertical Products Operation. How Timothy Dach, research and development engineer of the company has reduced the casting weight of the pump; Weight removed by Dach on the...
- Selecting cooling towers and fluid coolers. Jones, David R. // Engineered Systems;Aug95, Vol. 12 Issue 8, p66
Discusses common applications of cooling towers and fluid coolers. Ways of providing heat rejection; Types of cooling towers; Use of low-profile cooling towers; Application of fluid coolers where cleanliness of the heat transfer is critical; Industrial fluid coolers in compact chiller applications.
- OPO: One person's opinion. Chan, Tumin // Engineered Systems;Apr99, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p46
Focuses on the effects of oversized pumps and cooling towers on the savings that a chiller produces. Use of 15,000 Btuh; Estimation of the amount of heat rejected to the cooling tower; Coefficient of performance of chillers.
- Back to basics. Ellis, Rebecca; McKew, Howard // Engineered Systems;Sep99, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p13
Presents a quiz on two heating, ventilation, air conditioning and cooling (HVAC) situations. Cooling tower systems, building automation--commissioning; Cooling tower systems, building automation--design; Helpful tips.
- Cooling Tower Performance. Elovitz, Ken // ASHRAE Journal;Mar2014, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p16
A letter to the editor is presented in response to Mick Schwedler's article "Effect of Heat Rejection Load and Wet Bulb on Cooling Tower Performance" in the January 2014 issue.
- LETTERS. Wilkinson, Ronald J.; Bullock, Charles E. // Heating/Piping/Air Conditioning Engineering;Feb2005, Vol. 77 Issue 2, p53
Presents letters to the editor referencing articles and topics discussed in previous issues. "Commissioning Chilled Water Plants on Large Campus Settings," which described a test, adjust and balance procedure for chillers and cooling towers; "Ventilation Air Conditioning: The Shifting...
- The Benefits of VFDs on Cooling Towers. // Heating/Piping/Air Conditioning Engineering;Aug2009, Vol. 81 Issue 8, p38
The article discusses the different views of designs in which variable-frequency drive (VFD) that are utilized to improve operation. It states that it shows the difference of this operation from the conventional cooling -tower designs. It mentions that VFDs not only saves money but also makes...
- Parasitic Loads. Pearson, Andy // ASHRAE Journal;Sep2012, Vol. 54 Issue 9, p90
The seventh in a series of articles that explores refrigeration and heat pump concepts is presented. This article discusses a parasitic load for cooling systems which means an additional demand on resources that could be smaller or need not be there. The two types of parasitic loss, deliberate...
- COLD COMFORT. Kuechenmeister, Michael // Health Facilities Management;Mar2006, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p19
Offers tips on checking and maintaining the cooling towers of health facilities. Elements of a cooling tower; Steps in checking the chiller; Factors that should be checked when examining cooling towers.