Chiller and Condensing-Coil Maintenance
- Working With POE Oils Requires Forethought. Marchese, Joe // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;3/12/2007, Vol. 230 Issue 11, p24
The article discusses the various concerns in using polyolester (POE) oils for refrigeration in the U.S. One of the concerns with POE oils is the hygroscopic which can absorb its moisture through the walls of traditional plastic containers. Another concern is the ability of POE oils to be...
- Improving air system efficiency. Foss, R. Scot // Hydraulics & Pneumatics (1996);Jul2000, Vol. 53 Issue 7, p48
Provides several methods of removing water and water vapor from compressed-air systems. Dependence of the efficiency of the refrigeration dryers on the condition of the separator; Importance of the bed geometry to the operation of chemical dryer; Construction of absorption dryers as twin towers.
- Combo machines needed for vacuum pump/recovery. Wheeler, Jim // Contractor Magazine;Dec95, Vol. 42 Issue 12, p20
Discusses equipment requirements for servicing air conditioners. Difficulty of lugging around large amounts of equipment; Requirements enforced by the Clean Air Act; Need for vacuum pumps.
- Rules of thumb helpful in estimating and troubleshooting. Christopherson, Norm // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;6/03/96, Vol. 198 Issue 5, p14
Argues that air conditioning, heating, and refrigeration service technicians must use rules of thumb to determine if a system is operating properly. Airflow; Refrigeration and air conditioning; Building air pressure; Water; Cooling capacity rules of thumb.
- Leak detection methods. Brown, David // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;6/03/96, Vol. 198 Issue 5, p28
Discusses methods on how to detect leaks in refrigerating systems. Soap bubbles method; Sniffer halide torch, halogen electronic, and pump methods; Availability of electronic leak detectors; Safety practices.
- Ice flaker preventive maintenance. Moore, Danny // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;6/24/96, Vol. 198 Issue 8, p3
Focuses on the preventive maintenance of internal auger-type ice machinery. Considerations in examination; Water system cleaning; Symptoms of dirty evaporator.
- Check the cooling coils before you condemn your chiller. Ask, Andrew C. // Engineered Systems;Apr95, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p50
Part II. Details how to check out cooling coils of a chiller-system. Components and areas to examine; Number of rows at the U-bend end; Measurement of air and water pressure drop and flow; Condensate; Temperatures; Probable coil problems; Tips on buying new cooling coil.
- Start relay mystery. Healy, Jack // Refrigeration Service & Contracting;Jan97, Vol. 65 Issue 1, p16
Focuses on start relay of refrigerators. Explanation of start relay operation; Understanding of Positive Temperature Relay.
- Brazing with copper phosphorous alloys. Rupert, Wayne D. // Refrigeration Service & Contracting;Jan97, Vol. 65 Issue 1, p54
Discusses the benefits of copper phosphorous brazing alloys in the maintenance and repair of refrigeration and air conditioning systems. Temperature depression; Increase copper fluidity; Reduction of copper ductility; Comparison of silver and phosphorous content. INSET: What to do when you...