Variable Annuities: Pros and Cons
- Roll, Baby, Roll. // Bank Investment Consultant;Mar2003, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p12
Reports on the importance of variable annuities in the banking industry. Comments by Bob MacDonald, chairman of Allianz Life on the benefits of the 401(k) rollovers in variable annuities; Views of Mark Tully, senior vice president of The Phoenix Cos. on the benefits of variable annuities to the...
- Are variable annuities really good vehicle for tax-deferred growth? Benedict, Bettina // Indianapolis Business Journal;8/29/94, Vol. 15 Issue 22, Banking & Financial... p12B
Recommends taxable index funds as an alternative to variable annuities as a vehicle for tax-deferred growth for investors. Comparison of the two; Deferment of capital gains until the fund is sold; Income tax advantages in life and at death.
- VA optimists again predicting rosy sales in 1995. Connolly, Jim // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;1/23/95, Vol. 99 Issue 4, p39
Forecasts on sales projections in variable annuities in the United States in 1995. Problems with international funds; Sales estimates by financial institutions; Shift to fixed funds. INSET: Bank annuity sales rising..
- A,B,C, and L-Shares: VAs Respond To Competition. Kennelly, Nancy M. // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;10/7/2002, Vol. 106 Issue 40, p6
Looks into the status of the gross sales of variable annuities in the U.S. Competition of products in the equity marketplace; Sustainability of the market of the variable annuity; Decline on the sales of equity. INSET: Questions Producers Might Ask VA Insurers.
- Sales and results. // LAN: Life Association News;Aug97, Vol. 92 Issue 8, p24
Provides information on the financial performance of principal variable annuities (VA) in the United States as of August 1997. Contract; Company; Number of separate accounts; Number of investment managers or subadvisers; Number of above-average accounts.
- VA Sales Inch Up 4.3% in 2Q. O'Connor, Frank // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;10/5/2009, Vol. 113 Issue 19, p18
The article provides information on the increased of variable annuities (VA) sales in the U.S. which shows a 4.3 percent growth in the second quarter of 2009. Thus, it cites that this growth is still down to 24 percent as to compared to 41.1 billion dollars of 2008 sales in second quarter. On...
- Try 'Profiling' GMIBs Touted By Wholesalers. Blackmon, Wyatt // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;12/8/2003, Vol. 107 Issue 49, p13
Evaluates Guaranteed Minimum Income Benefit (GMIB), a variable annuity offered by insurance companies. List of questions for clients to ask about GMIB; Typical accumulated annual rate of annuities; Advantages of the variable annuity.
- Live Insurers love Fee Income. Townsend, Frederick S. // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;8/6/2001, Vol. 105 Issue 32, p31
Examines the reasons life insurers in the United States prefer fee income on shareholder equities. Discussion on variable annuity products; Account fee income rates from life insurers; Estimated charges on fee income; Valuations from publicly traded stocks.
- VA Sales Set Record In The 1st Quarter. Carey, Rick // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;5/31/2004, Vol. 108 Issue 21, p12
Reports that record-breaking first quarter 2004 variable annuity new sales of $34.4 billion and a significant rise in equity valuations have returned profitability to the variable annuity product line. Representation of the first quarter new sales performance on a percentage rate increase over...