Weighing In on the Variable Annuity Debate
- MAIL BOX. Lauer, Richard D.; Barnes, Stephen P. // Financial Planning;Dec2001, Vol. 31 Issue 12, p16
Presents two comments on the article 'VA's Victorious at Tax Time,' by John Huggard, which appeared in the October 2001 issue of 'Financial Planning.' Value for the investor faced with a choice between a variable annuity and a mutual fund; Impact of the article on the financial planning profession.
- Annuities Under Fire. Longo, Tracey // Financial Planning;Jun99, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p213
Focuses on regulators' concerns about planners and brokers' selling of variable annuities. Sales of variable annuities in 1998; Factors that should be considered when selling variable annuities; Factors that the National Association of Securities Dealers wants brokers to use when deciding...
- Addressing Client Concerns about VAs. // On Wall Street;Jun2010, Vol. 20 Issue 6, pA1
The author discusses concerns about variable annuities (VAs) and how to address client concerns over VA issues. He states that financial planners can make clients at ease by providing them the security features that are built into VA provisions, such as free look and the whole contract...
- Happier Returns. Korn, Donald Jay // Financial Planning;Jul2001, Vol. 31 Issue 7, p69
Discusses the advantages of guaranteed death benefit options within variable annuities. Attitude of financial planners toward guaranteed death benefits; Advantage of variable annuities over mutual funds; Types of guaranteed death benefits for different clients.
- More than half of all advisers pushing VAs. Burns, Carrie // Ebn.benefitsnews.com;4/4/2012, p4
The article presents the study carried out by insurance company Alliance Bernstein LP and the organization the Insured Retirement Institute on the percentage of financial advisers who recommend variable annuities as retirement solutions in the U.S.
- Service and Solutions. // Financial Planning;Oct2001, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p180
Features Equity Services Inc. (ESI), a broker-dealer subsidiary of National Life Insurance Co. Reputation of the company in offering service and solutions to its clients; Types of services offered by ESI; Information on the Sentinel Advantage Variable Annuity service.
- Planners Time VAs To Manage Market Risk. King, Carole Ann // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;8/14/2000, Vol. 104 Issue 33, p25
Reports on the use of the market timing technique or active asset management of variable annuities by United States financial planners to manage market risk. How the technique works; Complaint of financial planners against insurers; Drawbacks of market timing.
- The Bucket List. Pechter, Kerry // Retirement Income Reporter;Oct2008, Vol. 14 Issue 10, p23
The article discusses the use of the laddering-type bucket method called the Income for Life Model (IFLM), which was first sketched out by certified financial planner (CFP) Phil Lubinski of Denver, Colorado 20 years ago. It says that IFLM has an open, flexible, product-neutral architecture that...
- PFP BRIEFS. // Accounting Today;7/10/2006, Vol. 20 Issue 12, p18
Presents news briefs on personal financial planning in the U.S. Increase in client numbers of fee-only financial advisors; Results of the 2006 Survey of Financial Planning Trends by the College for Financial Planning; Launch of Lincoln Financial's variable annuity Income4Life innovation: 4Later...