Another Look at Reverse Split Dollar, Including Charitable Split Dollar
- Industry Says There Is No Authority To Limit Split-Dollar Tax Status. Brostoff, Steven // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;10/28/2002, Vol. 106 Issue 43, p42
Reports on issues arising from plans to limit the tax-free nature of life insurance death benefits related to split-dollar contracts in the United States. Claims of industry executives on whether certain government agencies have authority to limit split-dollar tax status; Regulatory regimes for...
- Collateral Assignment Split Dollar. Berg, Brett W.; Landsberg, Richard D. // Advisor Today;Dec2003, Vol. 98 Issue 12, p46
Reports on the U.S. Internal Revenue Service's tax rules on collateral assignment split-dollar arrangements in the life insurance market. Split-dollar applications; Nature of split dollar arrangements; Repayment obligations under split-dollar arrangements.
- IRS advises that unsecured split-dollar arrangement is not a loan. Beers, Deborah M. // LAN: Life Association News;Dec98, Vol. 93 Issue 12, p154
Explains issues pertaining to unsecured split-dollar arrangements based on the position of the Internal Revenue Service. Basis of taxation of life insurance premiums; Corporate obligation of repayment for employee and shareholder of family-owned companies; Ordinary tax compensation for...
- Using Undivided Interests as an Alternative to Split-Dollar Arrangements. Stanaland, Terence B.; Macon, Randall S. // Journal of Financial Service Professionals;Sep2003, Vol. 57 Issue 5, p66
Explores the use of undivided interests as an alternative to split-dollar life insurance arrangements and illustrates that the undivided interest approach can be quite competitive with split-dollar arrangements. U.S. Internal Revenue Service's proposed regulations on equity split-dollar...
- The Past, Present and Future of Split Dollar. Berg, Brett W.; Landsberg, Richard D. // Advisor Today;Nov2003, Vol. 98 Issue 11, p60
Focuses on key issues to consider when using the endorsement split-dollar method. Clarification on how the value of life insurance protection is valued; Issue raised by the regulations which involves tax consequences; Value taken from the contract and made available to an employee through the...
- Notes from the Editors. Feinschreiber, Robert; Kent, Margaret // Corporate Business Taxation Monthly;May2003, Vol. 4 Issue 8, p1
Introduces a series of articles published in the May 2003 issue of the Journal 'Corporate Business Taxation Monthly.' Factors related to three party transactions that have been analyzed; Information on tax issues affecting split-dollar life insurance; States in the U.S. that have been examined...
- Tax Accounting. Salles, James E. // Corporate Business Taxation Monthly;Aug2003, Vol. 4 Issue 11, p31
Examines the tax treatment of split-dollar insurance, arrangement under which two parties split rights under a life insurance policy in the U.S. Spread periods for cumulative adjustments; Special charges for utilities; Proposal for a uniform spread period.
- The Split That Unites. Rattiner, Jeffrey H. // Financial Planning;Apr2001, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p153
Cites the benefits of split-dollar life insurance to employers. How most equity split-dollar arrangements work; Reasons for choosing split-dollar arrangements; Disadvantages of the arrangements; Income tax issues in split-dollar insurance.
- New rules surface for split-dollar insurance plans. Grassi, Carl // Crain's Cleveland Business;9/8/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 36, p37
In February 2002, it was discussed that regulations would be forthcoming on the taxation of split-dollar life insurance arrangements. Since that time, two IRS pronouncements and one non-tax legislative change have been made in this area. These new rules effectively will prevent companies from...