NYC Council Addresses Exit Safety
- NFPA 101, Means of Egress. // Professional Safety;Jan2005, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p12
Discusses proposed changes to the National Fire Protection Association's 101 Life Safety Code and the 5000 Building Construction and Safety Code in the United States. Exit sign visibility demonstration; Egress stair width; Stair making; Escape devices and systems. INSET: Committee Proposes to...
- Star Harbor council approves amendment. Hannigan, Michael V. // Malakoff News (TX);5/11/2007, Vol. 98 Issue 19, p1A
The article reports that the Star Harbor City Council in Texas has approved an amendment to the city's building code for five lots at the old marina.
- Citizens request safety barriers at park. Wright, Marcus // Michigan Citizen;1/15/2012, Vol. 34 Issue 10, pA3
The article reports on the request of the officers of Citizen Council District 13 Areas 1 and 2 for the city in Detroit, Michigan to post safety signs and erect a barrier through the Forest Park to prevent accidents in the area.
- Unlocking Open Design with Fire Doors. Dodge, David // Construction Specifier;Feb2012, Vol. 65 Issue 2, p44
One of the most challenging elements of building design is to conform with fi re and smoke separation provisions of the building codes. Typically, compliance with these provisions suggests diffi culty in designating open communicating areas throughout the structure. This article looks at some...
- Residential code changes considered. Parish, Linn // Journal of Business (10756124);4/6/2006, Vol. 21 Issue 8, pB1
The article reports on the plan of City Council to approve an overhaul of the city's residential development code in Spokane, Washington. A public hearing on the proposed residential code will be held in the City Council Chamber. Provisions allowing different types of housing such as accessory...
- NEW YORK CITY APPROVES NEW BUILDING CODE. // Elevator World;Sep2007, Vol. 55 Issue 9, p42
This article reports on the decision of the mayor and the city council of New York City to approve a new building code that will take effect in July 2008. It says that many safety features that were spurred by the events of 9/11 were incorporate by a task force of professionals who worked on the...
- Bertram makes code decision at meeting. HILLEY-SIERZCHULA, EMILY // Burnet Bulletin (Texas);10/1/2014, Vol. 141 Issue 40, p1
The article discusses the meeting of the Bertram City Council for its building code decision in Texas.
- Queens rezoning boosts prospects. Bindrim, Kira // Crain's New York Business;9/11/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 37, p14
The article presents information on New York City Council's approval for massive rezoning in Maspeth and Woodside in New York. Under the new rules, property owners in the 130 affected blocks will be allowed to build larger, higher-density buildings. John Young, director of the Planning...
- Verification of the Change Blindness Phenomenon While Managing Critical Events on a Combat Information Display. Divita, Joseph; Obermayer, Richard; Nugent, William; Linville, James M. // Human Factors;Summer2004, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p205
Change blindness occurs when humans are unable to detect significant changes in objects and scenes after their attention is momentarily diverted. Because change blindness is relevant in many applied settings, the current study investigated the phenomenon in the context of tasks performed by...