United States Marine Corps Organization and Missions
- VFA-192 Conducts SINKEX during Valiant Shield. Craig, Andrew // Naval Aviation News;Nov/Dec2006, Vol. 89 Issue 1, p31
The article reports on the activities of the Golden Dragons air unit of VFA-192 of the U.S. Marine Corps. On June 20, 2007, the Golden Dragons led a joint air-to-surface weapons exercise (SINKEX) in the vicinity of Guam. During this unique training opportunity, the Dragons successfully employed...
- Maine. Sutton, Kurt M. // Marines;Feb98, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p7
Discloses that the US Marine Corps christened and launched the USS Higgins guided missile destroyer in Bath, Maine on October 4, 1997. Details about Marine Colonel William Richard Higgins' life and career; Description of the ship.
- Taiwan's submarines to get Harpoon missiles. // East-Asia-Intel Reports;2/29/2012, p3
The article reports that Taiwan's two submarines are scheduled for a major upgrade by being equipped with up to 32 UGM-84A Harpoon anti-ship missiles. Installing the missile in Taiwan's Dutch-made submarines will require technical modifications. The Taiwan Navy's Kidd-class destroyers,...
- Marine Corps Strengthening Cyber Space Operations, Organization. Biesecker, Calvin // Defense Daily;8/27/2015, Vol. 267 Issue 41, p5
The reports on various initiatives of the U.S. Marine Corps for strengthening its organizational structure and its cyber security operations including Task Force Cyber led by commandant general Joseph Dunford and the commander of Marine Corps Forces Cyberspace with a deputy commandant under the...
- HIGH-SPEED VESSEL. // Sea Power;Jan2003, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p126
Features the high-speed vessel Westpac Express of the U.S. Marine Corps and used to transport personnel and equipment. Displacement of the ship; Power plant; Passenger capacity.
- AVIATION LOGISTICS SUPPORT SHIPS (T-AVB). // Sea Power;Jan2003, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p125
Features the SS Wright (T-AVB 3) and SS Curtis (T-AVB 4), the aviation logistics support ships of the U.S. Marine Corps. Displacement of the ships; Power plant; Passenger capacity.
- Tactical Marine airfield at sea. Johnson, D.K. // Marines;May95, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p13
Features the SS Wright and the SS Curtiss, two of Marine Corps' aviation logistics support ships. Repair capability; Approximate number of crew; Number of container-sized mobile facilities the ships contain.
- New amphib christened. // Marines;Jul96, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p29
Reports on the christening of the amphibious assault ship Bataan in Mississippi. Aim of commemorating the heroic defense of the Bataan Peninsula in the Philippines by US Armed Forces and Filipino forces during the early days of World War II; Features and capabilities of the ship.
- Combat cargo. Tourge, Chris // Marines;Aug98, Vol. 27 Issue 8, p4
Provides information on the daily routine of the United States Marines included in the USS Belleau Wood's combat cargo platoon. Tasks assigned to the soldiers; Challenges faced; Account of how the platoon escorted other Marines arriving in a CH-46 helicopter.