United States Marine Corps Organization and Missions
- VFA-192 Conducts SINKEX during Valiant Shield. Craig, Andrew // Naval Aviation News;Nov/Dec2006, Vol. 89 Issue 1, p31
The article reports on the activities of the Golden Dragons air unit of VFA-192 of the U.S. Marine Corps. On June 20, 2007, the Golden Dragons led a joint air-to-surface weapons exercise (SINKEX) in the vicinity of Guam. During this unique training opportunity, the Dragons successfully employed...
- Maine. Sutton, Kurt M. // Marines;Feb98, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p7
Discloses that the US Marine Corps christened and launched the USS Higgins guided missile destroyer in Bath, Maine on October 4, 1997. Details about Marine Colonel William Richard Higgins' life and career; Description of the ship.
- Taiwan's submarines to get Harpoon missiles. // East-Asia-Intel Reports;2/29/2012, p3
The article reports that Taiwan's two submarines are scheduled for a major upgrade by being equipped with up to 32 UGM-84A Harpoon anti-ship missiles. Installing the missile in Taiwan's Dutch-made submarines will require technical modifications. The Taiwan Navy's Kidd-class destroyers,...
- Marine Corps Strengthening Cyber Space Operations, Organization. Biesecker, Calvin // Defense Daily;8/27/2015, Vol. 267 Issue 41, p5
The reports on various initiatives of the U.S. Marine Corps for strengthening its organizational structure and its cyber security operations including Task Force Cyber led by commandant general Joseph Dunford and the commander of Marine Corps Forces Cyberspace with a deputy commandant under the...
- AVIATION LOGISTICS SUPPORT SHIPS (T-AVB). // Sea Power;Jan2003, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p125
Features the SS Wright (T-AVB 3) and SS Curtis (T-AVB 4), the aviation logistics support ships of the U.S. Marine Corps. Displacement of the ships; Power plant; Passenger capacity.
- HIGH-SPEED VESSEL. // Sea Power;Jan2003, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p126
Features the high-speed vessel Westpac Express of the U.S. Marine Corps and used to transport personnel and equipment. Displacement of the ship; Power plant; Passenger capacity.
- LCAC. Danisevich, Brian // Marines;Jun94, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p11
Describes the capabilities of the Landing Craft Air Cushion (LCAC) ship of the US Marine Corps. General characteristics of LCAC; Cargo capacity of the ship; Uses of LCACs in amphibious landings and loading and ship-to-ship carriage; Measures employed to ensure the successful completion of the...
- Combat cargo. Tourge, Chris // Marines;Aug98, Vol. 27 Issue 8, p4
Provides information on the daily routine of the United States Marines included in the USS Belleau Wood's combat cargo platoon. Tasks assigned to the soldiers; Challenges faced; Account of how the platoon escorted other Marines arriving in a CH-46 helicopter.
- On Station With 'His Marines'. // Marines;Apr99, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p4
Reports the visit of the Marine Corps Commandant General Charles C. Krulak at USS Pensacola and USS Nassau. Reasons on holding positions by marines and sailors of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit; Remarks and anecdotes of Krulak for the marines; Details on combat hitting skills.