Turnover Hurts Mutual Fund Returns
- Stock selection based on Morningstar's ten-year, five-star general equity mutual funds. Loviscek, Anthony L.; Jordan, W. John // Financial Services Review;Summer2000, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p145
Recent research suggests that the individual investor can build stock portfolios that outperform broad market indices. Based on this research and on evidence supporting the persistence of mutual fund performance, we test whether or not the individual investor can build market-superior portfolios...
- Your guide to the managed funds data. // Money (Australia Edition);Nov2009, Issue 118, p98
The article offers a guide to interpreting the managed funds data in Australia from Morningstar. It provides a background of Morningstar, a global provider of investment research. Some of the asset classes included in the data are Australian equities, international equities and multisector...
- Thinking Inside the Investment Style Box. KIELY, BERNARD M. // New Jersey CPA;Jul/Aug2011, Issue 28, p24
The article discusses the equity style box developed by the financial firm Morningstar Inc. that represented the type of stocks in a mutual fund. It says that investment advisors have adopted to the style for it would sell fund. Furthermore, the company had developed its fixed-income style box...
- WHO'S IN CHARGE? Polyak, Ilana // Black Enterprise;Aug2007, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p46
The article talks about understanding who is managing the mutual fund and making sure that the fund will continue to prosper and that the manager will stay in place. Morningstar Inc. estimates that the average manager tenure is now just four years. Even the smallest firms should have information...
- High yield, small cap are stars for the year. OLSEN, KEVIN // Pensions & Investments;2/17/2014, Vol. 42 Issue 4, p13
The article reports on the Morningstar Inc.'s separate account/collective investment trust database which showed that small-cap stocks dominated the best-performing domestic equity strategies for the year ended December 31, 2013. Topics discussed include small-cap equity accounting for nine of...
- 2002 was killer year with record number of doomed mutual funds. Kovaleski, Dave // Pensions & Investments;1/6/2003, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p25
Analyzes the year 2002 from the perspective of mutual funds. Liquidation of mutual funds of Morningstar Inc.; Failure of technology funds; Impact of stock markets on international equity funds.
- Essential Monthly Fund Tables. // Money (14446219);Jan2003, p79
Presents several tables that show the leading managed funds in various categories, provided by Morningstar, an independent provider of managed investment information.
- Morningstar changes good for investors. Corbin, David // Fort Worth Business Press;5/24/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 21, p28
Discusses the decision of Morningstar Mutual Fund to enhance its fund ranking system in 2002. Aim of ranking funds among the firm's peer group; Background on the Morningstar system.
- SLICK PROFITS. Anderson, James A. // Black Enterprise;May2003, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p36
Presents the recommendations of Morningstar when it comes to mutual fund investments. Fund category to invest with; Importance of caution in investing in energy and natural resource funds; List of recommended funds.