Detroit school takeover bill passes house
- Engler calls for repeal of entire education code. Harp, Lonnie // Education Week;1/25/95, Vol. 14 Issue 18, p9
Reports on the plans of Governor John Engler of Michigan to push a bill to repeal all of the state's education regulations.
- Embattled Detroit Schools Go It Alone in GO Deal. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;02/23/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30584, p3
Reports on plans by the Detroit Public School District in Michigan to issue limited-tax general obligation bonds in 1999. Public school board's conflict with Michigan Governor John Engler over control of the school system; Use of proceeds from the bond issue to refinance leases for energy...
- Detroit schools takeover advancing. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;03/22/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30603, p2
Focuses on legislative bills pertaining to the takeover of the Detroit Public Schools in Michigan. Controversy on who will get control of the school system; House' rejection of a Senate bill; House's approval of a bill that would have given Governor John Engler control of the schools.
- Engler Seeks Shakeup of Michigan Education, Taxes. Schmidt, Peter // Education Week;3/20/1991, Vol. 10 Issue 26, p17
The article reports on educational reform programs introduced by governor of Michigan, John Engler. Engler's educational reform plans include systematic reduction in property tax by 20% over the next three years and enactment of educational proposals. The superintendent of the Huron School...
- NEWS IN BRIEF. // Education Week;6/23/1993, Vol. 12 Issue 39, p29
The article reports on development related to educational law and legislation in U.S. The California Senate has approved a measure that would divide 641,000-student of Los Angeles Unified School District into at least seven independent school systems. The California Senate also passed a bill to...
- Texas schools struggle with funding law 'roller coaster'. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;08/12/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30703, p44
Reports on the implications of the changes in Texas school-funding law in 1999. Bond market's confidence in the state's public school debt; Delay of the proposed lease-purchase deals.
- Mr. Engler's Education. // National Review;8/23/1993, Vol. 45 Issue 16, p17
The article offers information on how Michigan Governor John Engler brought about the reformation of the state's educational system as of August 1993. When Democrat legislators in Michigan proposed a 100 reduction in school property taxes so as to appear enthusiastic about property-tax relief,...
- Outgoing Gov. Engler Seeks Late Fix For Michigan's $500 Million Deficit. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;11/26/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31521, p35
Reports that outgoing Michigan Governor John Engler is expected to issue executive orders as of December 2002 in an attempt to balance the fiscal 2002 budget for the state after estimates showed that the state's May revenue forecast for the year was overstated by several million dollars. ...
- Michigan laws saved from governor's ax. // International Wildlife;May92, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p27
Reports that a Michigan state judge has blocked Governor John Engler from abolishing Michigan's environmental laws and commissions. The judge ruled that Engler's executive orders were unconstitutional.